Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photographing Smoke

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    FYI candles don't soot very well unless you blow them out. The bright yellow region of a candle flame is high in soot (it's the hot soot that's glowing yellow) but a well-designed flame finishes the burn out of the soot into CO or CO2.
    I was blowing it out every time I shot and was only getting a couple pictures per smoke. Having three little ones assisting wasn't making it any easier. Here is what I came up with.

Incense is going to be much better I bet! Denise thank you for renewing my interest in this and sorry to hijack your thread. I will quit now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    I was blowing it out every time I shot and was only getting a couple pictures per smoke. Having three little ones assisting wasn't making it any easier. Here is what I came up with.

Incense is going to be much better I bet! Denise thank you for renewing my interest in this and sorry to hijack your thread. I will quit now.
    Oh, no problem! And please don't quit!! I like the tones of the one you posted and feel free to post more here when you have tried the incense! I am hoping to get back at doing a few more tonight or tomorrow night as I want to try different colors and effects. In the magazine I have, he also cut & pasted other photos within the photo of the smoke so I am looking forward to trying that ...I just need to come up with another photo that will work well with it. He also shows a few photos using the plug-in Flexify 2 to create abstractions of the smoke. I am not sure if I will go that far with it but ....hmmm, maybe!

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    I was inspired by this thread to try this myself, so I went out and picked up some incense today and gave it a go. Here are a few results from my first attempt. I plan on doing many more. Its really fun and easy.

Very well done, Nick!! I especially like the last one!

I'm very happy I inspired you to give it a try ...I agree, it is alot of fun and very easy!

Hmmm ...I think you just gave me an idea for the latest assignment

Here are a few other ones that I had done awhile back ...

IMG_3383 by Denise Trocio ( www.dtrociophotography.com), on Flickr

IMG_5342 by Denise Trocio ( www.dtrociophotography.com), on Flickr
    Last edited by ddt0725; 04-19-2012 at 03:04 AM.