Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 1D X, done it, anybody else??

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    Good for you Jonathan, a 500mm as well. That is going to open so many creative opportunities for you, can't wait to see some shots from that combo.
    Thanks Steve, and congrats to you on the 5DIII ! No fair that you get your new camera before me... I've been waiting much longer! The pressure is going to be on now to deliver the shots... no more excuses about there not being enough light or not being able to focus.

John, I am waiting to see your hands on thoughts. Like Rick, I am currently very happy with my 1D IV and do not feel pushed towards the 1D X (yet). I am currently happy with the one-two of the 1D IV and the 5D II. I am very curious to see your thoughts on the 5D II VS. the 1D X. I wish you had a 1D IV to compare as well -- maybe Rick will get a new 1D X and do that comparison for us. I liked you fishing comparison in the other thread, but I have to say that my hit rate with my 1D IV is in the high 90's. Focus or other image quality is generally not an issue in picking images. I am wondering if improved pixel quality (1D X) will make up for reduced mp's (5D II)?

Pre-order placed in December

I'm new to this site, but have been impressed by what I have read. I've pre-ordered the 1Dx from Samys photos in Los Angeles and will post my experiences with the camera once it arrives. I primarily shoot portraits and do photojournalism for nonprofit organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by CMHphotos View Post
    I'm new to this site, but have been impressed by what I have read. I've pre-ordered the 1Dx from Samys photos in Los Angeles and will post my experiences with the camera once it arrives. I primarily shoot portraits and do photojournalism for nonprofit organizations.
    Welcome to the TDP, CMH. Look forward to seeing what you think about the 1dx. Would love to see some of your work.

Bob
    Bob

You guys are making life very hard for me. I just convinced myself that I didn't need (or "want") to upgrade but you've given me so many new ideas to justify the cost to my fiance!

In saying that, I've stopped riding motorcross where I'd buy a new $10k-$12k bike every two seasons and I actually have made enough money from photography to pay for everything I own.

I've got another $4.5k on the way this month for some photography I did for my work and I just got my annual bonus for work last week, so I could just hide all of that, get the 5D3 and pretend it's the same camera... couldn't I? (go on, tell me I'll get away with it).

The fact that I have my wedding to pay for and a year or two travelling the world is beside the point I think, I doubt the other half will see it in that light unfortunately.

Looking forward to some hands on reviews.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Just another fence sitter following the threads waiting to see which way to turn.

If you're on an extensive travel regime, won't you need to be able to capture those precious moments for later enjoyment?
    If that doesn't work, bait and switch is a good back up plan. You weren't thinking 1Dx for 5Dii I hope. That might be noticed.

Two rules to remember for marriage
    It can be easier to seek forgiveness instead of permission.
    What she doesn't know, can't hurt you. When she finds out (she will) refer to rule number 1.
    Last edited by jrw; 03-19-2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: After 20 years I have it figured out, I think, maybe

"Year or two of travelling the world" - You know with a trip like that there really could be a lot of wear and tear on your camera, something that a 1D body would be best suited for.

Good advice there jrw, we've been together for nearly 9 years so I'm very aware of the forgiveness/permission curve. The 5D2 always has a grip installed so I could possibly get away with the 1Dx. (right?)

bigblue1ca - I agree entirely. And there's a good chance we'll be in Norway for a bit chasing the Northern lights so high ISO usability will be critical as will the robust build of a 1D body.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Hmmmm...surreptitiously swapping a 1D X for a gripped 5DII? How detail-oriented is she? New buttons on the front and a missing mode dial... Forgiveness, indeed.

Congrats on the forthcoming wedding, Ben! 9 years together before marriage, that's great...we were together for 7 first (and our 19th wedding anniversary is coming up in June). You know...the groom always seems to be ignored in the whole wedding gift process. I say you deserve to give yourself a nice gift!

Ah thank you John. It's been a while coming (as I was kindly reminded of quite frequently pre-ring-on-finger) but we're very excited. We've hired out an entire winery for the day overlooking Moreton Bay so it's going to be a lot of fun.

As for the details, she knows it is black and has a screen on the back. Beyond that all she knows is it costs a lot of money that could otherwise be spent on her.

In all honesty I think the 5D3 would better suit me as an upgrade at this point. I'm mainly into travel/landscape/portrait/spur of the moment photography nowadays. If I were going to do a bit more work on the side with the camera then I'd definitely consider a pro body for the build quality and the fact that 18mp is more than enough for most work. I do enjoy the few extra pixels though as I have a house full of prints up to 1.5m wide so it does come in handy. If the 5D3 update wasn't so significant then the 1Dx would be a no brainer but as Canon appear to have fullfulled the majority of my wish list the 5D3 will work perfectly for me. That and there's $3,300 extra to spend on a 1Dx which would give me a good month or so worth of snowboarding somewhere in Europe.