Thread: Sand in 24-105 f/4, Quoted $400 for Cleaning

Sand in 24-105 f/4, Quoted $400 for Cleaning

Has anyone else gotten a quote for cleaning sand out of a lens? I recently went to the beach on a windy day, and got some sand inside the barrel of my 24-105 f/4. I immediately stopped using the lense, packed it up, and sent it to the Factory Service Center in NJ. I just got the quote for cleaning... a whopping $400. The lens is barely a year old.

Has anyone else had sand cleaned out of their lens, and how much did it cost?

Thanks,
    Matt

Yes, this happened to me about two years ago, but I was quoted and charged about only $130. They replaced one of the sub-barrel components that got scratched up from twisting the zoom ring while sand was inside, but did not charge me extra for the part.

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints View Post
    Yes, this happened to me about two years ago, but I was quoted and charged about only $130. They replaced one of the sub-barrel components that got scratched up from twisting the zoom ring while sand was inside, but did not charge me extra for the part.
    Wow, I wonder what happened with their prices in the last few years... I guess I just have to suck it up and pay the $400.

WOW! This has stopped me dead in my tracks of sending in my 580EX II for repair!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    WOW! This has stopped me dead in my tracks of sending in my 580EX II for repair!
    I'd recommend calling the Factory Service Center nearest you to get the minimum service charge for the 580EX II. I'm guessing the repairs for that will be easier than for the L series lens.

-Matt

I sent a lens and camera, whick I spilt coffee, with Baily's irish cream, sticky, to get cleaned,,, and itlooks like they had flat rate priceses on the repairs.. the lens was just a clear and adjust and got a 20% discount for complaining... the camera was a little more involved waited 6 weeks because parts had to be ordered. the lens was $56 and the camera was 260 which I thought was great because almost nothing worked.. came back like new... The customer rep was really great over the phone.. I asked him how they give a estimate with out taking the camera apart, and was told thats how they did it but he gave me the 20%.. I said we couldn't do that in the car business ...sounds like some you win and some you lose

In my experience, canon factory service has been very reasonable if you give them an argument Be polite, but inquire a lot, and be ready to point out things that would seem like they should be covered by Canon. I.e., was the lens on the camera with a filter as to be supposedly 'sealed'? It may be that the lens simply sustained more damage than you realized, but it can't hurt to push gently to see if you can get a partial reduction, being very nice to the individual you're speaking to, but implying criticism of the policy, if you think it's deserved.