View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • bgood

17 38.64%
  • ddt0725

2 4.55%
  • neuroanatomist

6 13.64%
  • bob williams

10 22.73%
  • btaylor

9 20.45%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #33 - Shooting Wide (Congrats bgood)

#33 - Shooting Wide (Congrats bgood)

On behalf of Andy Stringer I present assignment 33: Shooting Wide

"I’m looking for shots with a wide panoramic aspect ratio between 2.5:1 and 3:1. The subject can be anything you like but the composition must suit a long rectangular frame. It can be either cropped or stitched. It doesn’t necessarily have to be wide angle or wide aperture, just wide."

• Have fun!
    • The poll will be opened for 3 days

And the finalists are:

Name
    : bgood
    Motivation: A very pleasing composition for the wide format. I like the way the path winds its way through the foreground, how the temple contrasts with the foliage and how the clouds are shrouding the hillside beyond.

Name: ddt0725
    Motivation: A great capture of the intense colour of this sunset, with the patterns in the water providing added interest. The inclusion of the shore in the foreground helps to draw the eye into the picture.

Name
    : neuroanatomist
    Motivation: A fascinating insight into a different culture with interesting features across the width of the frame. Good use of leading lines and reflections in the composition.

Name: bob williams
    Motivation: I like the brave use of a slow shutter speed to accentuate the motion of these snow geese. The wide format with the geese flying low overhead works well to emphasise the size of the flock.

Name: btaylor
    Motivation: A beautifully composed image of the aurora. I like the low placement of the horizon, leaving space for the vastness of the sky and the wonderful colours of the northern lights.
    Last edited by Sheiky; 04-01-2012 at 10:37 AM.

In the mail yesterday I got a Pentacon Six to EF adapter (ok, my third one), but this one is a 12mm shift adapter.
    Coincidence?
    Now i just need a good subject...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Amongst the things that inspired me to develop an interest in photography over 20 years ago was the panoramic work of Colin Prior. He's a master at using light and composition to create stunning images in a 17:6 format (about 2.8:1). If you're not familiar with his work, or you want some inspiration for this assignment, I urge you to visit his website and browse some of his portfolios. I especially like the "High Light" gallery.

Wow great examples, nice topic Andy.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Here's one from me, THIS IS NO LONGER MY ENTRY

A self-portrait from the top of Kings Reach Tower on London's South Bank, not my most technical of images, but it suitably matches how I felt up there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1951-01-wider.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	653

Hope this attachment thing works.
    Last edited by ham; 03-25-2012 at 10:05 PM.

My entry. Death Valley salt flats.

Thumbnail - click for full image.

Mark - Flickr

Penguins.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    In the mail yesterday I got a Pentacon Six to EF adapter (ok, my third one), but this one is a 12mm shift adapter.
    Coincidence?
    Now i just need a good subject...
    Of course, It was never going to work out that way, was it?
    I was repotting some trees yesterday, go off to the car to see if there were any more pots floating around in the boot, and this guy was sitting happily on the windscreen. Managed to run inside, grab my camera, tubes, flash, tripod, run back out, set up everything properly, just about to press the shutter and he starts wandering. And wandering. I managed to get this shot while he was on the (apparently dirty) roof of the car, long after i'd given up on using the tripod.

So in absence of me going to take and stitch a wonderful panorama, this is my entry.
    7D, EdMika'd FL 55 f/1.2 @ f/8, iso100, 1/250s, 430EX with softbox pointing at his/her face.

Clicky linky for biggy

And the two shots after that one, it seemed to like my flash after a while, and decided to make it its home for the next few hours (actualy, I had to pry it off after a few hours to take the flash inside)

Name:	IMG_5392brs1200x800.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	660

Name:	IMG_5394brs1200x800.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	661
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Here is one from today, this can be my entry.
    For now.
    Unless I can find something mind blowingly better than this.
    [img]
    Twilight_1 by Steve's Life, on Flickr[/img]
    Thanks for viewing.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Here's an attempt at a panorama done during a recent trip to Hawaii. Rained the whole week we were there, but we still had a great time.

Byodo-In Temple Hawaii by B_R_T, on Flickr