Thread: Feedback Welcome

Feedback Welcome

Camera: EOS 30D

Exposure: 1/50

Aperature: f/1.4

Focal Length: 50 mm

ISO: 800

This capture was taken at night with lighting from an overhead recessed fixture. I believe I used aperature priority. What have I done wrong, and what have I done right?

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.12/Andrew-Leaning-72-dpi.jpg[/img]

Re: Feedback Welcome

Perhaps the background is a bit distracting. I keep trying to figure out what is in the painting beside the cheetah. Also, it looks like the subject is leaning into the frame more than resting on the table. I think it is interesting to have the subject pose in front of other photographs, but perhaps it would be better arranged with the subject in the third of the frame horizontally with the pictures beside and behind him and something less distracting on the wall. Also a different pose with his head less angled.

Keep shooting!

Hi John,

The lighting is nice, though I do agree with Stephen
    that the background is distracting. I might get the terms mixed up, but
    with an f/1.4 lens, you should be able to get a pretty shallow depth of
    field, where the lad will be in focus, but the background will be
    blurred. You might have to experiment where you position the boy in relation to the background to get the blur you want. There's a website that has a depth of field calculator that might be helpful.

I have this lens as well (is it the EF 50mm f/1.4??), and I've filled up some memory cards
    shooting wide open at f/1.4. Only a few were keepers, but it was a fun
    learning experience.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Murph, and everyone else who responded. I've learned a few things from the feedback and it is greatly appreciated.

Yes, Murph, that is the lens. It is a great lens and is my current favorite (until my next purchase).

I think my two biggest mistakes here were, background which has been pointed out, and ISO setting. Running close behind, of course would be depth of field calculation.

Again, thanks to everyone. It is great to be a part of a helpful group like this.

John

hey John....I use the 50 1.4 very often on my 5D and now my mark ll. The 50 tends to be a little soft wide open, but if you stop down to say f2, or f2.2 the results are fantastic. I shoot a lot of candids of my little man using this setup....only thing is the 50 1.4 doesn't focus too fast, so you've got to be quick. Good shot above, but remember that on the 30D, the 50mm is actually an 80mm(1.6 crop), so you also lose a little DOF. Good composition, above, but have to agree the background is a little distracting. Feel free to check out some of my pics at "greggf.smugmug.com"

Thanks, Gregg. Since this shot I have learned somewhat about DOF and the 1.6 crop factor, as well as stopping down from wide open. I really am an amateur just starting out and am grateful Bryan opened this community for sharing and learning.

Nice shots on your site, by the way.

John

Amateur or not...you are taking pics and that is what photography is all about!! Digital is even better, because you can review everything right away, and make adjustments. Therefore you take more pics....I agree and thank Bryan for starting this sight. I went to his multiple

times daily gleening information and reviews to help further myself. Thanks for checking out my site...Did you see Eowyn?