Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help convincing wife!

Re: Need help convincing wife!

Quote Originally Posted by QNeX

Why not get Canon 50mm f/1.8 II instead?

It is almost 4 times cheaper, so it will be waaay easier to convince your wife. The pros and cons:

1) you loose 2/3 of F-stop and build quality.

2) you gain a tool to convince wife 'see, how much difference there is with f/1.8 lens? Imagine how better it would be to have a good quality f/1.4 lens!

3) even if you don't succeed convincing your wife to get more expensive one, you still have f/1.8 lens!

4) ...and you may decide later on, that you would rather get Sigma 30mm f/1.4
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    There's always that...Quick and easy.

Try the 50 1.8 II - I did, and I love it.

Build quality sucks. Optical quality rocks. Easy on the wallet. Great.

I'm not so much concerned about build quality as I am about taking sharp pictures in low-light.

Where's the virtue in simply buying cheaper?

Think of the manly sacrifices you could make for the better lens!

I see the point of buying cheaper, but I'm more inclined to go for the gusto. Really, $325 is not an issue. It's more what it is, than how much. In fairness, my wife rarely buys anything for herself, although I encourage it and am much more loose with the money. Incidentally, when we had our pre-marital survey (you Catholics know what I'm talking about), finance was about the only thing we differed on!

Alan

David, if none of the offered advice works on your wife, at least you've got the list of those rascals who gave it to you! []

Seriously, though, it helps to be able to show your handiwork to her, plus rake in some bucks while doing it.

Wait til you want more L lenses.....whoa, are you going to need help then, pal!

I too bought a camera for taking pictures of the kids.I bought the 50 1.8II when I started and it worked fine for indoor stuff. Sure the focus isn't super fast, but if you take a ton of pictures you will get plenty of good ones. If you have the kids posing, it will be fine.I blew up a 10.1mp from my XTi to 13x19 and it looked pretty good.

Another good suggestion would be for various gifts such as birthdays and Christmas, ask for gift cards to certain places that she would like to shop. Then give her the giftcard in exchange for cold hard cash.I haven't tried this, but it just might work.

Quote Originally Posted by davideglasgow
    my wife rarely buys anything for herself

My wife never spends money, either. Terrible. If only she had an expensive hobby, things would be SO much easier. (And if that hobby was photography, things would be SO SO much easier... ah well.)

Haha, interesting topic! My experience of dealing with my girlfriend when she questions me about spending over $1000 on a lens is that, I took her out and take photos of her (she likes photos BTW) which cannot be made with my previous lenses.Then compare the result andtry to explain the difference.After shesees the improvement optically,she will no longer disagree with my spending anymore!

In your case I guess you can rent the 50/1.4 first and took nice pictures to convince your wife as renting will not cost too much at all. (like $15 per weekend or something.)

Plus, different people will react to this differently, my girlfriend generally won't care too much about how much money I spend on photography, and she can also be convinced by my photos and speeches...[:P]

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin

...my girlfriend generally won't care too much about how much money I spend on photography, and she can also be convinced by my photos and speeches...[img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Benjamin, buy your lenses before you get married, and/or make a lot of money using them []