Thread: G1 X, done it, anybody else??

G1 X, done it, anybody else??

It's high time I upgraded our digicam (which is my wife's primary go-to camera), a Powershot A520. It's so old that it still writes photos to stone tablets. Since I got some pretty nice gear, it's only fair that she get something she really loves. After playing around with a bunch of them in our local shop (http://prophotosupply.com/), she decided that the G1 X had the best handling and features for her. Luckily, that's precisely the one I preferred the most. I would have liked to have waited for Bryan's review to be completed, but I'm feeling pretty lucky after buying D800 without any full reviews beforehand..

I tried talking her into a Nikon DSLR, but she said it's too big and bulky (especially with the lens) -- although she didn't want anything too small. G1 X seems to be just the right size for her.

What do you all think of this little guy?

A foot in both camps, playing for both teams, in a Canon/Nikon kind of way.
    I am sure your beloved will love this camera, I am considering something like this for my wife. She won't touch my big Canon(5D or 7D).
    My wife seems to get some pleasure out of saying, "go on take a photo of that, look at them now, you never get good shots of the dogs like that. Let's wait 5 minutes while you get your big Canon ready." (it doesn't seem like it takes 5 minutes to me)
    Wearing an S100 or a G1 as a pendant might be my only salvation.

Mighty nice of you Daniel, a very intuitive purchase, your wife is very lucky.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    A foot in both camps, playing for both teams, in a Canon/Nikon kind of way.
    Yeah, hopefully the best of both worlds.

I really wanted to consider the Nikon 1 system, but my wife didn't like the ergonomics. The live view really is amazing. And the autofocus technology sounds like it's the way of the future. I can't wait until that level of technology trickles down to DSLRS.

It would have been fun to stick a Nikon 400mm f/2.8 on there with the adapter and get the equivalent of an 1100mm f/8.

She not like the s100?

I know if I was getting a point and shoot, that's where I'd go.

Lot of punch in such a small package. And you can actually fit it in your pocket.

I do see the good in a g1x though. I just like the smaller s100 better if I am going for a small camera.

Can you change lenses on the G series? They don't take EF or EF-S lenses, correct?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnston View Post
    She not like the s100?
    Nah, she said it was too small and lacked a tilt-swivel lcd. (I agree.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnston View Post
    Lot of punch in such a small package. And you can actually fit it in your pocket.
    It'll be in the purse most of the time, I think. Not sure how I'm going to carry it when I take it on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Photog82 View Post
    Can you change lenses on the G series? They don't take EF or EF-S lenses, correct?
    It would really be nice, but Canon hasn't come out with anything like that yet, just Nikon. (The Nikon has a 3X crop factor, so I've been very curious to see if anyone has used it for birds/wildlife.)