Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack for hiking & camera gear

I personally like the Lowepro Flipside, for me, it works as it holds all of my gear. If I need to change a lens, I take my arms out of the staps, while the bottom straps are still connect around my waist I swing the back around and open it up to reveal my gear- it's like having a table top right there. They have a demonstration video on it as well: http://products.lowepro.com/product/...AW,2116,14.htm

Edit: Looks like I'm too late
    --

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    The guru looks a little small to me for what you want.
    This is the picture that made me really decide:

http://fstopgear.com/images/stories/...workbook16.jpg

I'm not going to fully use the medium ICU with all the photo gear that I have but it definitely looks like I can fit in some misc gear in there, like first aid kit, map and a small light. Not that I'm planning on hiking in the dark but I do prefer to have the bare essentials of emergency gear on me on a "you never know" basis. Since I plan on mostly just doing day hikes (for longer I would need a bigger backpack, which I do have) it looks to me as though the top part can fit a pullover/anorak against the rain along with food. And then there are the side pockets for water bottles and the straps for the tripod. Actually it looks to be the perfect fit for everything I described in the first post. Really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Additionally the ICU looks to be perfect for when I want to transport the photo gear in another bag.

And I'll definitely look at making a review once I have it.
    My gear: Canon 500D, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 70-200 F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8 macro (non-USM), 50mm F/1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Photog82 View Post
    I personally like the Lowepro Flipside, for me, it works as it holds all of my gear. If I need to change a lens, I take my arms out of the staps, while the bottom straps are still connect around my waist I swing the back around and open it up to reveal my gear- it's like having a table top right there. They have a demonstration video on it as well: http://products.lowepro.com/product/...AW,2116,14.htm

Edit: Looks like I'm too late
    I'll have to try that swing around option with the (empty...just in case) Guru when it arrives, looks like a great idea.
    My gear: Canon 500D, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 70-200 F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8 macro (non-USM), 50mm F/1.4

One of the things that would concern me about the guru is how you can attach the tripod. For it to balance right it will need to be in the center, you can most likely strap it in with the straps on the back. Provided it locks in and doesn't shift on you.

I thought carrying 3 liters of water might be a bit much for a day hike. For me though you didn't list the "you never know" basics that I go with. First aid kit sometimes doesn't make my list. Map's can be useless without a compass. The three never go on the trail without for me are matches, knife and TP. Actually TP is at the top of the list as you could be in danger if you miss identify a leaf that is poison ivy or poison oak.

I remember a hike from last summer with friends in the Vercors in France where we didn't find a water source the whole day and we were very happy at having two 2 liter bottles each. Admittedly it was a hot summer day, but always best to be prepared.

Knife & TP are also on my essentials list, but are usually in my pockets for quick access. I also have an iPhone which has a built-in compass. Matches though...I can say I've honestly never felt the need for matches on a hike. Curious though, why is it on your essentials list?

I guess it depends on where you are considering on hiking, possibly you wouldn’t need matches. Is it a walk down well established trails or in the back woods off the beaten path? If you are in the backwoods or other area where you have the possibility of either getting lost, or being caught out and having to spend the night, the ability to build a fire can be a life saver.

Good point on the matches. I usually do hike on trails/not far from trails though.

Another must have is a whistle- something like a fox40 - lot easier to blow a whistle than yell if your stuck- anyone seen movie 127 hrs?
    For first aid kits I have a couple different small ones- Company called Adventure Medical makes some small personal kits for 1-4 people for 1-4 days with all kids of options. MEC in canada or REI in US are 2 places I know for sure have them.
    shown below is the .5, 1 person 1-2 days with macro 100 mug and EW-83H for reference

I'm planning to get back into hiking this summer so would love to hear more feedback, or other options people are using for back packs.

I used a seperate bag last year for gear and personal items- and that just didn't work for me.

I'm guessing your hiking won't involve any overnight stays. I used to hike / mountain climb / camp quite a bit in my younger days. I could not have gotten away with a pack that did not have room for a sleeping bag, tent, cooking equipment, etc. So I purchased a good internal frame pack in which I kept a modified medium-sized padded fanny pack containing my photo gear(except tripod) for day tripping away from camp.

I kept my photography kit small:
    - One body (no battery grip)
    - 24mm f/2.8 lens w/hood
    - 135mm f/3.5 lens
    - Polarizing filter (fit both lenses)
    - Mini-tripod - about 8" folded up

Optional equipment i would take if I was feeling strong or if circumstances called for it:
    - 50mm f/1.8mm
    - Flash
    - Lightweight tripod (cost me $20 in 1986 - a little flimsy but decent when weighted down, opened to about 5' tall)

As lean as this was, it still felt like too much unnecessary weight after a few hours of hiking. Nonetheless, I don't think I've ever taken better photos in my life than I did on these trips. I've certainly not had more fun. It feels really good to pare down your equipment to the essentials and then really make them work for you.
    Last edited by Black_Dog; 03-30-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by patham View Post
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a Guru with medium ICU...

Not currently in stock but I'm hoping to get it in a few weeks. I blame Ben's great review for my quick decision.
    Good choice mate. Feel free to blame me if you're not happy with the bag but I can't see that happening, it's a beast!

With the medium ICU you won't have a huge amount of spare room, but you'll be able to fit a few bits and pieces above it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30