Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS 5D Mark III | First Thoughts

Alan, it looks like I can only delete users while reporting spam, or give 10 day suspensions. I've notified Bryan of your requests to be suspended/deleted. You'll be gone before you know it.

(or before I can finish this post, apparently).

Senior Member francongphotography's Avatar
    Smartasses..they just ruin this world. Anyways. Congrats on getting the mark III! Wish I can get a FF body soon, mark II or III, both are awesome cameras!
    Canon 5D Mk II, 550D/T2i, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 L USM, 17-40mm f/4 L USM, 24-105mm f/4 L USM, 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM, 320EX speedlite

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/franco_ng/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    No, I haven't. I've expressed my opinion, which is what this board says I can do.
    This will be the last opinion I offer.
    I left the CR forums for being slammed for daring to post anything unflattering about a new Canon product...

I MOSTLY agree with the link you posted. ISO 800 on 5DII is much superior to ISO1600 on 5DIII, so definitely not a stop of improvement where I use it.

I'd say the sensors give equivalent results except when you start going higher.

When comparing ISO 1600 from both, I noticed that the 5DIII images appeared to be better. Not sure what exactly, but I think the colors/depth of the image seemed better.

Me and my wife shoot kids/family/weddings, so I really don't think we'll be upgrading our other 5DII, but will instead pick up a 35 f/1.4L

Quote Originally Posted by shizam1 View Post
    I left the CR forums for being slammed for daring to post anything unflattering about a new Canon product...
    I certainly hope that the exchange that Alan and I had was not perceived that way. I don't think anyone on this forum would call me a bully. If I was out of line, I sincerely apoligize. I just felt the need to call him out due a common theme I noticed in his past several posts regarding the discussion of any newly released Canon products. If we all agreed on everything, this board would be pretty boring and certainly less insightful. The Mark III is by no means perfect, but I believe most would agree that it's a major improvement over the Mark II. You could say the same for the Mark II vs. the Mark I. Anyhow, I hope everyone continues to be open and honest about the shortcomings of the latest release or whatever the case may be. I recently shot a wedding with both the Mark II and the Mark III and hope to write some of my observations here. Spoiler alert, they are not all great :-)

I don't think anyone was very far out of line. Alan was already teetering on the edge of leaving. He had previously asked to leave regarding another disagreement a while back, and I convinced him to stay. We can't all be completely nice, full of complements, politically correct, and say we agree with things that we don't agree with 100% of the time. The minor disagreements we tend to get here can be considered the Kindergarten of the internet.

I think Alan was taking things too personally. If he was so offended he wished to leave, then I accept that choice. The other choice is we all play superficially nice to avoid confrontation with everyone, at all times, and I don't support THAT option.

I enjoy constructive criticism and I specially enjoy some of the more passionate, lively exchanges that we have from time to time.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    The other choice is we all play superficially nice to avoid confrontation with everyone, at all times, and I don't support THAT option.
    You're so right, David. I totally agree!!! Internet BFFs now, pretty please?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson View Post
    I certainly hope that the exchange that Alan and I had was not perceived that way.
    I honestly didn't see all the history, just noted his comment on being targeted for posting less that flattering information.

Personally, I think the 5DIII is a great camera, just not much improvement in the sensor department... and I also am a bit dissapointed with Canon's marketing.

My wife likes the 5DIII for the brighter viewfinder, and says the AF is faster as well. But again, for our type of shooting, where we shoot stationary things most of the time, or slowly moving brides down the aisle, the AF improvement doesn't make much of a difference.

I'm still waiting for Brian's thorough review of the image quality to see if anything else comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by shizam1 View Post
    I honestly didn't see all the history, just noted his comment on being targeted for posting less that flattering information.
    If "less that flattering information" posts were not tolerated here then Daniel Browning would have been kicked off this board 1,000 posts ago :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson View Post
    If "less that flattering information" posts were not tolerated here then Daniel Browning would have been kicked off this board 1,000 posts ago :-)
    Ha, good to hear

I'm eagerly awaiting your 5dII vs 5dIII wedding experience!

One annoying thing I've found, which I'm sure can be an easy fix in firmware is the dual card slot functionality.

If I've got both cards in there, and set my CF to primary, and the SD card to catch any overflow, and then I remove the CF card, maybe to switch it out for a new one, then the camera will set it to the SD card as primary!