Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best Street Shots

Post your best Street Shots

I've lately been getting into Street photography, trying to capture moments, and geometry, and noticed that whilst lots of landscape, portrait and wildlife photography gets posted here, I haven't seen much street stuff (candid or otherwise).

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours:

Mark - Flickr

Love the ladies in the second. They stand out even before you see the DOF.

Oh, and M_Six, partly due to your recommendation, I picked up a 35mm f/2.0 on Friday. It gives a really nice retro feel when wide-open, I've just been enjoying playing with the shallow DOF, but I'll share some shots shortly (no street ones yet).

Great idea. Can't wait to see more

Thanks, Ham. That was my first outing with the 85mm f1.8 I bought at the B&H Superstore earlier in the day. Love that lens.
    Mark - Flickr

Great thread! I don't do a great deal of street photography but really looking forward to seeing shots taken by others! Nice ones already Mark & ham!

Maybe it will help me work up the nerve to do more of it myself!

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    Surprised this thread didn't get started sooner. I don't do much street photography either but Ill add one here just to help get things going

Untitled by johnstondox, on Flickr

These were from a Nicaragua trip a little while ago. Had fun shooting some street stuff then.

Keep em coming y'all.

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

From a trip to Bermuda a few years ago. Front St. in Hamilton.

Mark - Flickr

Similar to nvitalephotography's posted image, my first foray was this shot:

From my vantage point 7 floors up I felt a bit more confident snapping strangers, but since then I've been happier getting closer. The 15-85mm is fine if I use a silicon wrist-band as a rudimentary zoom lock, but it's quite intrusive being a medium sized lens on a medium sized SLR. I think I'll have much more confidence with the 35mm f/2.0

Other than that I find shooting from the hip is surprisingly easy. Anywhere shorter than 35mm and you can afford to be a bit lax with your aim.

Some people say they find it easier with a 200m lens, but tbh I think I'd find the thing attracting far too much attention.

The other thing that really helped me was going on a photowalk with some more accomplished street photographers, you have a lot more confidence when in a group wandering around, especially when it's clear you're photographers snapping away at everything. I also learnt to just worry about getting the shot, the story of the image matters a hell of a lot more than the technical accuracy, like this one: