Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
Dslrs are probably closer to maximal.

I don't know. As far as microlenses go, digicams have gapless microlenses for years; much longer than DSLR (which are only now starting to get them with the D3 and 50D). At least part of the reason is that DSLR must have wider sensor angle of response, what with f/1.2 lenses and all, whereas digicams only do f/2.8 typically (although they also don't have any flange focal length restrictions, so the rear exit pupil can be very close to the sensor).

EDIT: I'm not surpised that Sony was able to make such an improvement. In general, mobile phone cameras and digicams have had much higher performance per area than DSLR. The R&D budget, revenues, and technology level are all much higher in that space due to the very high volume. Sensor designers such as Eric Fossum (inventor of CMOS sensors) have commented that the design of sensors like the 5D is very simple compared to mobile phone cameras and he's looking forward to seeing Canon and other DSLR manufacturers push the envelop more in the future. I am too.