@Rick, I've never owned but have used the 1D IV and to my eye the 5Dmk3 beats the mk4, the AF is just sensational.
@Panoption, it gets down to dollars like a lot of things in life, if you can afford good primes and enough of them they will beat good zooms every time. But good zooms work very, very well. Depending on your skill as a photographer, a good zoom can be the best tool to invest in. For my skill level I have blessed the convenience and results of good zooms many times. I have been able to get "the shot" and no one knows if it is a zoom or a prime.
I have some nice primes and if I am shooting for me I will generally use a prime. If I am shooting for someone else and the environment is dynamic and changing all the time, I need a good zoom.
My advice would be the 70-200 or 300 zooms the best that you can afford and then 24, 35, 50 and 85 mm primes. If you thought you were going to shoot some weddings and events I would say to go for the 24-70 or 105 before the primes. But if it is mainly personal travel definitely the 70-200 or 300 and then as many primes as you can afford.
Good luck with it, money spent on good glass is not a waste to someone that uses that glass.