Quote Originally Posted by panopticon View Post
Thanks for the comment, you mention quite a few different lenses, but I'd be interested to know what you bring with you, when hiking the AT?
I was also wondering how much you use that 50mm and for what type of shots? There's been quite a few recommendations for a prime in that range already, and checking my lightroom statistics I have next to no shots in the 30mm area (with crop factor that should be around 50mm).
But then again, if I take pictures of people, I'd rather get a close-up of an intense facial expression than their whole posture for some reason - I guess I find a facial expression more expressively dense than a model-like fullbody pose, but that could just be me.
The 24-105mm sounds like a good all-round lens for travelling purposes, but if I want to get myself accustomed to primes then I'd probably better save it for later.
I did the hike back in college around 2002, name was Winz Factor. I brought a small 35mm point and shoot on that hike. If I were to do it again with what I have and not worry about being a gram weenie, then it would be the 5D, 17-40 and 70-200 f4 (which I don't have but would borrow or trade).

I love the 50mm for product shots/still life and macro with DIT reverse ring and a stack of extension tubes. I spent a whole year with only the 50mm on my old 40D unless I was working. I'll do the same for a month at different zoom level, just tape the zoom at said value.