Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "...You must have a really great camera!"

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    Shoot a portrait at f/2 with the EF 85 f/1.8, and your result will be dramatically different than what the photography masses can produce. That's what people are reacting too.
    Maybe. However, when that same photographer shoots an amazing portrait at f/16 (allowing for a DOF comparable to a P&S), I assume the reaction will be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by cls View Post
    I’ve discovered that my jogging shoes have degraded heavily during their stay in the closet over winter - I suppose I have to get better shoes if I want to get back to my average kilometer pace from last October.
    Better shoes will help you run further and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    In order to advance photography as an art form in the public eye, it is still required to educate the public in order to increase the appreciation level.
    I couldn't agree more.

The same person that offers these types of compliments, asks me to “zoom” in on something 500 yards away using my 24mm F/1.4.

I really hope you’re not serious about the rant. The individual that pay’s these types of compliments are offering them in sincerity (usually, see comment below). If we receive a compliment like this, and we show that it bothers us to the person offering we can come off looking like the Diva that needs the snickers bar on the snickers commercial.

But do consider the source; if you and I were out in the field taking pictures together and I worded the comment that way, I wouldn’t be surprised if you told me where I could place one of my long telephoto lenses. In fact I would probably be expecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I really hope you’re not serious about the rant. The individual that pay’s these types of compliments are offering them in sincerity (usually, see comment below).
    The rant is mostly in jest, but there is humor in the truth it reveals. Mainly, that people believe that all you need to be a good photographer is "...a good camera".

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    The rant is mostly in jest, but there is humor in the truth it reveals. Mainly, that people believe that all you need to be a good photographer is "...a good camera".
    "P" for professional.

My wife follows Missy MWAC on facebook now.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    "P" for professional.

My wife follows Missy MWAC on facebook now.
    hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I cannot tell you how many times I hear something like, "Wow, those are fantastic images. You must have a really great camera!"

/rant over
    DUH! Doesn't that person know it all done with trick lighting!

Sorry, Sean ...I couldn't resist

Back when my camera was a Rebel XT with grip while shooting engagement photos I had the groom ask me, "What makes your camera better than a Rebel?"
    I answered, "ME"
    Then I went on to explain that I was using a Rebel.
    Mark

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. When people ask me how my camera is capable of making such great photos, I let them in on the secret: "Most cameras only go to ten. But *this* one is unique. Let's say you're on ten on your camera and you're shooting at ten, but you need that extra push over the cliff... you know what I do? I put it up to eleven. One better."