Thread: Problem with 24-70 F2.8L USM

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm posting results at infinity because that is the only area in which I've found a deficiency. With every other focus test on closer subject matter (which takes in the lion share of the photos I take) the lens did very well using something pretty close to the method you posted except that I used a clock face as a "target". At shorter distances, it focuses very well both in AF and MF. I also shoot outdoors quite a bit so there were plenty of opportunities for more distant shots but I'm usually stopped down to at least F8+ which seems to mask the problem.

So I was very happy with the lens until I was shooting outdoors in lower light and sped things up (F2.8) on a more distant target. That was when the soft photos showed up. They were so soft, I was able to see it on the review screen without any magnification. I tried both auto and manual focusing using live view x10. The only way to get sharp photos from the same location was to change focal lengths enough to get away from infinity or to stop down. Otherwise it seemed close to focus but couldn't quite get there before it hit the limiter. So I tried it again the next day in better light with more time to make sure my results weren't skewed by the limitations of my camera's sensor. The result was unfortunately the same.
    Last edited by Mikeinminn; 04-17-2012 at 11:00 AM.