Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C&C Wedding edits

C&C Wedding edits

So I had my first wedding-shoot almost 2 years ago already. The couple didn't really care about an album back then, but now they want to make an album after all. Since it was my first wedding I went with the better safe than sorry mentality, since I really didn't want to screw up. Anyway I looked at some shots and they really do need some editing. At least some of them to give them a special look. They will probably be printed larger size...8*12 or so?
    The car for example was a rental and had some stickers on it with website names, which I don't like at all in a classy album.
    Anyway I have done two "bigger" edits(other than pulling some sliders in Lightroom) and here is the result. Please tell me what you think. All comments and critique are welcome.

This shot I have most doubt about. I really didn't like the license plate on the car so I changed it to their initials. What do you think? Click on the image for a 2000p shot.
    Original:

Edit:

This second shot I played around with adding depth of field. Of course it would have been better if I shot this one the first time at f2 or something, but as I said I didn't take any chances that day.
    Original:

Edit:

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Sheiky; 04-18-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: linked the images to the 2000p images

The first one is definitely better when you have changed the license plate but it still grabs the attention too much from the couple. Maybe it could be desaturated a little/even the yellow color changed or something so the plate wouldn't 'pop' so much?

The depth of field blur on the second looks good to me, much better than the original I would say. Is it done with the new blur tools in Photoshop CS6 beta? Maybe even a little bit of a fake miniature feel to it but I like it still. Overall the image is maybe a little greenish? And also it might look better if it was straightened in relation to the manor in the background that is leaning left a bit.

Hope my comments are of some help!

Great pic's. I like the changes on the first.

On the second, I like the first one untouched. I did think it was just a degree or two off being level. The reason I like the first is when I first see the pic I think "a new married couple just getting ready to go in there new beautiful home". Of course I don't know if it is their home or not, but that is the feeling it presents. My second thought is I wish the car wasn't in the pic. Of course this picture is a captured memory for this couple, so my thoughts probably do not apply and it should be edited to give the feeling they would want to see.

If the second were a tighter cropped pic I think the background blur would have worked much better. Too much blur and not enough primary subjects. By keeping the leading line in the pic, the picture naturally draws you to the door of the house.

Hope this helps, if not just ignore it.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 04-18-2012 at 01:36 PM.

First pic. Bright front end of vehicle draws my eye. I then look right to the fellow looking at his watch who seems to be in a hurry to go somewhere else. Then I notice the bride and groom after that when I start looking for other objects of interest in the photo. Not sure if that was your intent or not. Like the license plate with the initials. It's a nice touch for the album. Only improvement might be toning down the yellow. The strong colour in the central foreground competes with the bride and groom for my attention. Yes, it brings some visual tension into the photo which kept me looking at the photo longer, but it borders on becoming a distraction from the couple.

Second pic. Interesting angles. Building slightly angled one way, groom more so in the other. How do you balance the two? Like the way the blur separates the subject. Really does make them stand out as the main object of interest. Glad to see the sky was cropped out as well. Blurring the background so much unfortunately makes the bride and groom seem small in the photo. Perhaps more cropping or less blurring?

I agree with the comment about the colour of the licence plate. It draws a bit too much attention, even in the second picture. Otherwise, I like the non-processed version of the last picture best, but would crop out some of the foreground. Also, the roof of the building appears to be tilting. Could it be that the picture needs to be straightened up a bit?

Lars

Much prefer the edited version of the second shot Jan - makes it much more interesting. Good stuff.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Nice work Jan, I really like your edits in both instances, specially the second shot, tighter crop more pop.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

I have had couples come to me after 10 years wanting a professional wedding album created. The blur edit looks strange it really looks like minis ? What filter did you use.

I think the licence plate is a really cute feature that they're sure to love... However, I think if you cloned it out completely it would be less distracting. It is cool though! I might also be tempted to lessen the redness in the face of the driver as he seems a little flushed. Blur is always a difficult thing to get right in post but I think you've done a pretty good job.

First off: thank you all for the replies!!! I will now read them all and try to reply to all options. Thanks!

I have tried to reply on the different opinions given to the images. I have adjusted shot number 1 a bit(see below). I will try to redo number 2 now.
    Last edited by Sheiky; 04-19-2012 at 12:44 PM.