Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the best photo organizing app for a Mac?

Well, I got the 1TB Western Digital hard drive installed. Restoring the OSX Lion took a while using Internet recovery and my TimeMachine backup. I copied my photos, a little over four hundred gigs, from my server over wifi in about 20 hours. I then set Aperture to import them. I have no idea how long that may take...
    Last edited by Jarhead5811; 05-09-2012 at 08:59 AM.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Well, one thing worth noting is to not turn on your iCloud Photostream in Aperture before importing a mass amount of old photos, like I'm doing. It sent nearly fifty gigs through it! I move my iPhone and iPad photos out of the Photostream folder on my PC pretty often and was rather shocked when I noticed it was full of all of these old photos! I stopped everything and disabled the Photostream, for now.

Another thing worth noting is that when you import photos into Apertue they "swell up" or more likely it just copys them, I'm not sure but either way my 1TB hard drive showed full before the 400+ Gigs got done importing. So, I deleted everything, uninstalled/reinstalled Aperture and have set a chunk of my photos to importing straight from the Windows machine, rather than copying them to the Mac first.

Needless to say my difficulties are due to my having to learn OSX and Aperture at the same time. I love the Mac but still can't tell what it's doing some times. I'm not nearly as frustrated at learning how things work as I was when I switched to Vista. It hasn't crashed once. Overall I'm very satisfied.
    Last edited by Jarhead5811; 05-17-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

the reason why the library swells is that Aperture creates previews (for faster viewing, and sharing with other apps like iMovie) for each file. You can specify in the preferences how big these previews should be, either in relative size (half of original) or absolute (800x600px). Reducing the size of the preview will reduce the size of the library. I chose to set it to my main monitor size, which was much less than the default ( I believe the default is half of original).

Feel free to ping me if you have questions.

Arnt

btw, disabling faces and places/locations will speed things up.

During import, you have the option of storing the images in the Aperture Library, or in their current location. If the pics are already on your HDD, the former option copies them (sounds like what you did), the latter option imports only a preview image and leaves the original as a referenced image.

Yep, I had copied them to my Mac and then imported them into Aperture. Based on the settings I deffinatly doubled my library size in doing this, making it too large to hold.

I left the faces/places turned on simply because I don't require the Mac for any other activities and just figured I'd wait it out. It did take days to import and complete the processing.

I imported the main part of my library, per-sorted into folders based on the month and year they were taken, into Aperture and let it copy them to my HD. I now have about 440GB free. I've got another 60GBs of old scans of which I'd like to digest later being I still need to edit the date taken/created info either before I import them or as I import them. My presorted scans were edited individually in a properties box in Windows. If anyone has recomendations on a better, faster or easier method of handling that task I would greatly appreciate the advice!
    Last edited by Jarhead5811; 05-20-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Spelling...Clarity...