Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neutral Density Filters

The 2 and the 3 stop Grad NDs will be the most used. The 1 can find use when the ground is light, sand or snow, and you are wanting to hold the sky/cloud highlights back just a little bit to allow keeping contrast with the ground and still get a decent exposure.

I've been playing with square filters. If I were to limit myself to two, I'd probably go with a 2-stop hard edge graduated filter and a 3-stop reverse ND filter.

I don't find myself using the soft edge graduated filters as much.

I have three Cokin filters and two singh ray.

I also prefer square filters because you can use them as pure ND, gradual or both. This picture is taken with a ND2 and a ND8 (Cokin Z-Pro), 1,6" f/32 on a bright day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_9493.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	1131

My first attempt with my new Hoya NDX400 filter

Received my new Hoya ND filter in the mail today and off I went to my local park and lake and took around 20 shots. All the settings were set by the seed of me old pants, (did ask me mate Steve for some advise though...thanks mate): 5D MK2, 24-105 IS, F14, ISO 50, SS 30, FL 35mm LR3.3, Lillydale Lake 24/072012 4PM.

Thanks for viewing.

Name:	IMG_4657-tdp.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	1270

Name:	IMG_4667-tdp.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	1271
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Great shot Wally!

I especially love the contrasting and muted colors of the sky vs. water in the 1st shot!

I'm no expert at landscapes, but are you sure that the first shot is 30sec? I would expect the clouds and water movement to be greater at 30sec?

Also keep in mind that 50% sky and 50% water can sometimes compete with each other for the viewers attention, however I feel that it really works here to help get the Suns reflection in the water, while still leaving some room in the frame for the image to breathe!

Enjoy the new filter,

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post
    Great shot Wally!

I'm no expert at landscapes, but are you sure that the first shot is 30sec? I would expect the clouds and water movement to be greater at 30sec?
    Rich
    Thanks for your kind comments. I'm definitely no expert in landscape photography let alone using ND filters, but I'm learning fast...LOL. The 30 sec is of my exif date...? ...I will keep an eye on my exif info on my next ND photos, to make sure that I give the right info.
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Nice to see you posting Wally, looks like that first one you were playing with white balance a little and I would have to agree with Rich, it doesn't have the smoothness of a 30 sec exposure.
    I spotted the B&W version of the second on Flikr, that is a first class shot, keep them coming mate.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    Nice to see you posting Wally, looks like that first one you were playing with white balance a little and I would have to agree with Rich, it doesn't have the smoothness of a 30 sec exposure.
    I spotted the B&W version of the second on Flikr, that is a first class shot, keep them coming mate.
    Thanks Guys for your comments...Will keep an eye on my exposures.

Thanks for viewing.

Name:	IMG_4672tdp.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	1272
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Nice one Wally, I really like the detail in the rocks and the boardwalk. The greens and the lavender colour of the ornamental grasses really contrast with the eerie sky. The blown out patch of sky adds an arty balance to the whole shot.
    Nice work.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Wow, Wally ...that last shot is fantastic!!