Thread: Canon 7D - Error 20

Canon 7D - Error 20

Had bought my 7d a year back but I had received "error 20" twice from it, sent it back to canon workshop both time and fit back came back from canon saying it was shutter problem. Can any one tell me your 7d do have the same problem? As my checking 7d always having the same problem "error 20" and can any tell me what was the issue caused this?

All I could find for error 20 is "Errors related to the mechanical mechanism have been detected". If Canon has identified the problem as the shutter was it replaced under warranty? Given that it has been in for repair twice in less than a year, I'd be inclined to push for replacement of the shutter if not the entire body myself.

It does, canon did replace the shutter twice. But my question is why the shutter had been detected as mechanical mechanism, this is a new camera and was last than a year in hand? What caused mechanical mechanism...

So I'm confused by what you are asking. Are you saying it was fixed, and the problem is no longer occuring and you just are curious what the problem was or why it happend with light usage for the camera?

Even a new camera can have a failure... it's just like if you buy a new car and something breaks, you just get it fixed under warranty. It stinks, but that can happen.

I'm getting an Error-20 on my T2i now every time I try and use Live View or go into video mode. It could be the shutter mechanism. My camera made an awful screech every time it went into Live View lockup. Everything else is working so I'm finishing a project I've got and sending it in for a rebuild of the shutter. I've put 50k photos on my camera in 2 weeks. I guess I should expect it to fall apart - especially for a camera at the low end of the product line.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    I'm getting an Error-20 on my T2i now every time I try and use Live View or go into video mode. It could be the shutter mechanism. My camera made an awful screech every time it went into Live View lockup. Everything else is working so I'm finishing a project I've got and sending it in for a rebuild of the shutter. I've put 50k photos on my camera in 2 weeks. I guess I should expect it to fall apart - especially for a camera at the low end of the product line.
    .. 50k in two weeks? Wowza!
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    .. 50k in two weeks? Wowza!
    Rocco - it's really not as impressive or interesting as you might think. I've got my SLR slaved to my computer and some other "stuff." It snaps a picture every 5 - 7 seconds for a few (5+) hours. The next step of the project is to snap one picture with several hundred or thousand cameras simultaneously. However, those won't be SLRs no matter how low-end they might be (think cell phone CMOS cameras).

The loss of live view is annoying though because I can no longer use my TV screen to focus by. I've got to shoot a series of pictures at different micrometer stage settings and figure out what value is focused best on the reference spot.

This one's going way back! There's some great information in the archives.

Dave