Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 5dMKIII.....taking the picture....Post Processing.....PRINT

@jrw; you said others that have converted to Nikon, are you saying others that have switched to the D800 or just to Nikon in general, that they see imporvement in 8x10's

It would be the D800 in specific.

Should clarify that the reason I ask is my background in scientific research. Any time that similar tests are conducted with such differences in the results, I can spend days backtracking through the material batch specs provided by manufacturers, every detail of specimen preparation, checking and verifying sensor calibrations, testing data acquisition systems, and poring over the data processing methods and software all in an attempt to discover any reason that the results could be so different.

@ jrw can it be that the reason they were able to dsicern discrepancies in 8x10 prints is because they had their prints made of HD mini labs. ???? there are new minilabs printing at 720DPI whereas the "old" ones print only at 300 DPI. I am talking of RA4 process prints......

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
    I'm glad you're getting good results. There are only three possible explanations for what you see: spectral QE changes in the CFA, updated raw converter software, and/or placebo effect. According to DxO tests, the primary change that Canon made to the CFA from the 5D2->5D3 is that the blue pixels are much less blue -- now they are 25% green and 75% blue. This improves noise performance, but noticably reduces color accuracy for subjects that have blue spectra. But perhaps the blue change is more pleasing, even though it's less accurate.

I think a more likely explanation is just newer raw converter software changes. If so, it would be possible to get the exact same zero-corrections printing from the 5D2.
    Hi DB I tried converting my old 5DII raw files using the latest DPP i used in converting my 5DIII files..... they stilll needed correcting during print so I guess results I'm getting with 5DIII files are not due to raw converters.....

Canon software has a custom way to talk to Canon printers. If you printed from DPP or other included Canon software you might see a difference compared to printing from other applications. I first heard of it somewhere here on TDP last year. I have no idea what sort of impact it may or may not have on image quality.

It could be from many different things I am sure. I know some photographers use magnifying glasses when inspecting prints while others will stand back several feet to try to take in more of the print to better evaluate the created impression. I am rapidly becoming of the opinion that it would be a matter of nicety to those who read the reviews if the methods used in arriving at their conclusions could be included with the results to better allow readers to conclude if it is something that could be important to them. Yes, there is a good deal of room for subjectivity in comparisons when there is nothing to weigh or measure. We do rely on objectivity from the observer. If the methods of comparison were also included it would mean that the testing ought to be reproducible by others with similar results. I'd expect some variation due to differences in keenness of sight, lighting condition, original exposure, gamut range of printer, etc but I wouldn't expect a factor of four.