Thread: DIY - Post yours

DIY - Post yours

I searched and didn't find anything of this sort on the site, so I thought I would start something. I have been working on a couple DIY things and thought I would share them. If anyone has anything that might be useful for the community, why not share. So has anyone been working on something cool???

I made a lens coat for my 300mm f4L IS, working on a DIY Better Beamer, the black foamy thing from another site, and a macro softbox. Will post pictures later.

Ok, sorry for the delay in posting pictures. Here is my DIY lens coat for my 300mm f/4L IS.
    Purchased tape from Amazon. Horrible CA is from using the 85mm f/1.8 for this shot at f/2. Didn't really check the settings and did a quick shot. Yucky is the CA on that lens!

I have a couple of DIY things. 1st one that's really simple is a reversing ring for a 50mm 1.8. You need a body cap and a cheapie uv filter. remove element from the filter. Drill the center of the body cap out. Mate the two using epoxy and allow to dry. Mount the lens by screwing the filter into the lens. Adjust arpeture by first mounting 50mm to camera in Av Mode, depress DOF preview button, turn off camera and remove lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehcalum View Post
    I have a couple of DIY things. 1st one that's really simple is a reversing ring for a 50mm 1.8. You need a body cap and a cheapie uv filter. remove element from the filter. Drill the center of the body cap out. Mate the two using epoxy and allow to dry. Mount the lens by screwing the filter into the lens. Adjust arpeture by first mounting 50mm to camera in Av Mode, depress DOF preview button, turn off camera and remove lens.
    I would love to see some pictures of this. I have been wanting to do this for so long, but didn't know if I wanted to purchase the reversing ring or not. I have a couple 52mm filters and was considering this, but wasn't sure how to go about it.

I have finished a couple DIY projects recently buy only have pictures of the one right now. I just finished a DIY beauty dish. I took the idea from here, DIY Beauty Dish, but there were a couple things that I had some problems with that I will fix in the 2nd generation I make sometime in the future. The Dish is pretty simple to make but if you have a bigger flash you might want to make some adjustments. The gutter piece that he recommends will fit a 430 ex II, but not the 580. You will need to purchase a bigger gutter piece. I would suggest the extendable downspout part and just cut it to fit. I thought the dish was too heavy to be held only by the flash so I made a little bracket. I also kind of broke the dish where I was cutting because I didn't drill around the corners before attempting to cut with the utility knife. A little silicone on that fixed it nicely. All in all, I am happy with the project and will be happy to do it again. I found all of my products for this at Lowe's and it was less than $15. Probably could have been even less if I hadn't needed another can of spray paint due to holding the can too close when spraying the first time. Here are a couple pictures of the throw. I am going to make a sock for it using a white cloth shower curtain.