Thread: 135mm f/2 + 1.4 II vs 200mm f/2.8

135mm f/2 + 1.4 II vs 200mm f/2.8

Hey,

yesterday I shot the same picture with a Canon 135mm f/2 + Canon Extender 1.4 II and a Canon 200mm f/2.8 lens.

After downloading the two photos to the computer I was surprised, the picture with the 135mm + Extender was a tiny bit sharper than the one taken with the 200mm f/2.8, and it had less CA!

Is it possible? Anyone tried this before? Thanks for any answer!

Check on the ISO chart comparison.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=108&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=1&API= 0&LensComp=245&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp =0&APIComp=0

I am not seeing a better image quality here.

Thats not to say that yours didn't work out that way, it would just be unusual that a prime + extender would be sharper than bare prime.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Thanks Dave.

I just had the same idea :-). The difference is more noticeable in the corners, so maybe I should look there when I am already comparing.

I was just wondering cause I could get used to the idea to get a 135mm and sell my 200mm, now that I have an extender..or more likely wait till I've got money for both

Is there any chance the focus was off the 200 f/2.8? I really like the 135L and haven't seen too significant a drop off with the 1.4 II in real life conditions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6825585...teleconverter/

Dave

the IQ from my 135+1.4TC II is not acceptable, u must have got very good copys!

I don't think so, one possibility is that your 200mm f/2.8 shots were slightly less in focus or very slightly motion blured. Another is your 200mm f/2.8 is a slightly soft copy and your 135mm with extender is slightly beating it. But no, it is supposed to be better. I would test the lenses in a controled setup and shoot a test target in live view and also check for AF accuracy before making any conclusions.

Hope this helps,
    John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto View Post
    the IQ from my 135+1.4TC II is not acceptable, u must have got very good copys!
    Darn! I was getting excited. The 135 is on of my favorite lenses.

I've seen lots of people on the web who've had success with 135 + 1.4X II TC. I'm sorry it didn't work out for JJphoto. It's a shame especially because when you spend that type of money on camera gear you expect it to just work!

I really like being able to shoot 189mm f/2.8 if I need to with out having to lug around a heavy zoom. I usually stop down and don't shoot at f/2.8 that often with the extender, but here is one example when I did.

2012_04_01_3839 by dthrog00, on Flickr

my experences with TCs are that they work pretty well when the subject is closer to the camera like the shot Dave took above, but the main reason I use Tcs is that when I can't get close enough to the subject.usually the results are not quite good when the subject is farther, softer and CA are the main prblem. I prefer to just move my legs to get closer instead of use TCs or zoom lens. but my 1.4TC II with 300mm2.8 and 500mm 4.0 are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto View Post
    my experences with TCs are that they work pretty well when the subject is closer to the camera like the shot Dave took above, but the main reason I use Tcs is that when I can't get close enough to the subject.usually the results are not quite good when the subject is farther, softer and CA are the main prblem. I prefer to just move my legs to get closer instead of use TCs or zoom lens. but my 1.4TC II with 300mm2.8 and 500mm 4.0 are pretty good.
    This is a good point. The 200mm + TC 1.4 combo is very sharp for close subjects, if the subject is farther (maybe 50 meters and plus) the IQ degrades and it's on the edge to be acceptable (for me). I will continue to use the combo and maybe post some pictures in the future. Unfortunately I just rented the 135mm I mentioned in my first post, so no more tests so far :-|
    Last edited by criza; 06-01-2012 at 06:54 PM.