Thread: What case for EF-s 10-22

What case for EF-s 10-22

I decided to purchase a 10-22, so at the same time I'd like to get a case from Lowepro.

I'm asking the online community as I am ordering online, and will not be in store to try the lens into various cases.

For those that have a EF-S 10-22, what case did you get?

B&H recommends Lowepro Lens Case 9 x 13cm
    Lowepro recommends Lens Case 11 x 11cm

-I will be getting the hood as well-

so adding those dimension the lowepro bag-finder gives me 11x14

So -

Which case did you decide on and why?
    Thanks all

I have looked around myself a bit, but I have bags/cases that I am using for now. The one thing I'd recommend is to forget about trying to fit the hood in a case designed for a single lens and get one that fits the lens itself snugly. As for the cases themselves... it just depends on if you want a snug fit with a gap at the top, or a less snug fit with no gap at the top. I'd probably go snug with a gap, cause then you can put filters and stuff above it or just put some padding in the bottom if you don't like the gap.

I don't have any of the new cases (where the 'name' is the dimensions), nor do I have a 10-22mm any longer (replaced with a 16-35 II after getting a FF body). But...the 10-22mm with hood fit well in a Lens Case 1W, which is 10x12.5. With the UWA zooms, the hood won't fit reversed unless the case is very oversized. Instead, I put the lens in mount-up (as with all my lenses), and then set the hood over the lens barrel at an angle. Works for the 16-35, which is longer than the 10-22mm - there was some headroom with the 10-22mm in the 1W. So, I think the 11x11 would work, if you don't have the good actually mounted.

If you are like me you:
    1. ALWAYS shoot with a lens hood
    2. HATE to take lens hoods on and off and have to reverse them when you put them in your bag

then you might want to take a look at the ThinkTank Lens Changer 50. This lens pouch is large enough for any wide-angle zoom lens with lens hood on in forward position. It is designed to fit on ThinkTank's modular belt system, which I don't have, but works with any belt. It is really easy to get the lens in and out of the pouch for quick lens swaps. I purchased one of these last year and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Dog View Post
    If you are like me you:
    1. ALWAYS shoot with a lens hood
    2. HATE to take lens hoods on and off and have to reverse them when you put them in your bag

then you might want to take a look at the ThinkTank Lens Changer 50. This lens pouch is large enough for any wide-angle zoom lens with lens hood on in forward position. It is designed to fit on ThinkTank's modular belt system, which I don't have, but works with any belt. It is really easy to get the lens in and out of the pouch for quick lens swaps. I purchased one of these last year and love it.
    Do'h yes I remember wanting a lens exchange 200AW - that also looks like a good option, However I ordered lens about an hr ago, didn't want to wait any longer.

I'm going with the 11x11, as it turns out to also be the recommended size for my 24-105.

My bag is maxed out - the case with slip lock should allow me to tack on the 10-22.

Should have it in 3-6 days so I'll review how it fits around then.

Thanks all who replied

Got my lens and case today, will have to play with lens later.

But before I forget thought I'd post a quick fitment review of the LowePro 11x11 for the 10-22 Efs

Fits easily in pouch

way too easily

Lens hood-- not so much

Ok now some full sentences.
    The EFs 10-22 with lens hood attached or reversed, fits easily into the 11x11 case.

The lens hood is actually more oval than round and is not to difficult to put lens in or remove
    (as long as you put it in with wide side towards back of case )

With hood attacked the lens sits nicely centered, but has some extra room around it.

I used some padding from another pack to fill the side voids, but I think you could put a rain shell or wind breaker or light down vest to fill the void.

So there ya go, If you decide to buy a case for your 10-22, you can now visualize how it fits in a lowePro 11x11

Looks snug for travel but not so easy to swap.

In the last picture, is the hood still attached to the lens & if so, still in shooting position or reversed? You mentioneed that the 11x11 cm case fits both the 10-22mm lens & hood, but none of the pictures show the lens & hood in the lens case.
    Going by dimensions alone, the hood is 12.2 cm in diameter at its widest - can it fit a 11cm diameter case?
    Also if one adds the height of the lens & hood in shooting position, it would be about 9+4 cm=13 cm. Again, can that fit a 11 cm tall case?

Just want to clarify before I order a lens case.
    Thank you very much for posting this!

Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    Got my lens and case today, will have to play with lens later.

But before I forget thought I'd post a quick fitment review of the LowePro 11x11 for the 10-22 Efs

Fits easily in pouch

way too easily

Lens hood-- not so much

Ok now some full sentences.
    The EFs 10-22 with lens hood attached or reversed, fits easily into the 11x11 case.

The lens hood is actually more oval than round and is not to difficult to put lens in or remove
    (as long as you put it in with wide side towards back of case )

With hood attacked the lens sits nicely centered, but has some extra room around it.

I used some padding from another pack to fill the side voids, but I think you could put a rain shell or wind breaker or light down vest to fill the void.

So there ya go, If you decide to buy a case for your 10-22, you can now visualize how it fits in a lowePro 11x11

For what it's worth, I went with the Lowepro 9x13 because I usually am tight on space when I go on hikes with my gear and I didn't want something with so much extra room. The 9x13 is almost perfect, there is about 1cm of extra height with the lens in the case (without lens hood, it does not fit obviously) and the width is perfect. I know some people prefer to keep their hoods attached to their lenses at all times, and some even prefer to keep them attached in the shooting position at all times, but that adds a lot of extra air space. That can make sense if you are always working out of a huge bag that you don't have to carry far, but for my purposes I'm glad I got the 9x13.
    - Eric
    Canon 7D, 70-200 f/2.8 II, 17-55 f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.8 II, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 2x III, 430EX II
    flickr.com/ericolsson

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Lynnaeus View Post
    In the last picture, is the hood still attached to the lens & if so, still in shooting position or reversed? You mentioneed that the 11x11 cm case fits both the 10-22mm lens & hood, but none of the pictures show the lens & hood in the lens case.
    Going by dimensions alone, the hood is 12.2 cm in diameter at its widest - can it fit a 11cm diameter case?
    Also if one adds the height of the lens & hood in shooting position, it would be about 9+4 cm=13 cm. Again, can that fit a 11 cm tall case?

Just want to clarify before I order a lens case.
    Thank you very much for posting this!
    Sorry just saw your question.
    last pic is with lens hood in reverse position. Because the case is soft sided, it does fit in shooting position as well.

Added pictures below with lens hood attached in shooting position.

Note: I got a larger camera gear bag shortly after, and never used the case much. I now only use that case for hood storage. I put 3 hoods and a tripod mount ring that don't fit nicely with the rest of my kit.
    Last edited by Kombi; 07-02-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Added images