Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here on Google +?

Anyone here on Google +?

Just checking. Just set up a profile myself and wondering if anyone else has joined that network? Looks like it is much more photographer oriented than facebook could ever be.

I did setup a profile on their awhile ago but have not been on it for quite a few weeks. Yes, it is most definitely more photography oriented. I am not particularly a facebook fan.

The Kelby folks seem to push it. To me, it would be just another thing to not keep up to date. Wish there was one program that would send whatever you type to the appropriate sites and adapt it to fit.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I have a Google+ account, but I rarely check it. Facebook seems to be a much more popular venue, and I've scheduled at least 3 jobs recently just from exposure on it.

I have an account but rarely use it. They use picasa as the backend I think. My wife learned that when she wanted to log into her albums from gmail and everything had a different layout.
    I heard good things about it but as Sean said, adoption is pretty low compared to Facebook

Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    The Kelby folks seem to push it. To me, it would be just another thing to not keep up to date. Wish there was one program that would send whatever you type to the appropriate sites and adapt it to fit.
    Doesn't Flickr do that?

Yep, this is me https://plus.google.com/u/0/117662787427358000188/posts

Not knowing any other photographers, and getting into the hobby on my own it's been great to a) meet like-minded people in my area and b) share my images with people who'll let me know if they're any good or not.

That's without mentioning the inspiration I get from having circled some of my favourite photographers, who I'd perhaps never have heard of otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by ham View Post
    Yep, this is me https://plus.google.com/u/0/117662787427358000188/posts

Not knowing any other photographers, and getting into the hobby on my own it's been great to a) meet like-minded people in my area and b) share my images with people who'll let me know if they're any good or not.

That's without mentioning the inspiration I get from having circled some of my favourite photographers, who I'd perhaps never have heard of otherwise.
    I just joined a little while ago. Mind if I follow???

Of course not, I wouldn't've posted it if I wanted to stay away from you all

I've got a few tips though, depending what you want from the place:

If you just want to look at pretty pictures, add some of Charles Lupica's shared circles (https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612)

If, however, you plan on having any kind of interaction with people, I'd advise against just adding everyone who looks decent. Before you know it you'll be following a few thousand and your stream'll move so quick you have no chance of working out who the people are that you're following.

What I did, was get involved in Colby Brown's (https://plus.google.com/113455290791279442483/posts) Behind The Lens Photo Critique circle. This meant you got tonnes of critique and could critique others' work without stepping on toes. Saying what you liked and didn't.

Problem with that I was, I ended up with circles full of crap photographers. I mean really crap, so I had to do a full scale clean up and get rid of them. Circle Management is tough when you start with a few k. Best to start small and build IMO.

If you want to get noticed, the best way to do it is via the Daily Photography Themes (https://plus.google.com/104772045073519492155/posts). Every day you share a shot that fits the theme, mention the #tag, the curator and tag the group in the photo (if they have a page) and it'll get stumbled upon by anybody searching that #tag regardless of your meagre follower-count.

Gimme a shout if you've got questions. It's a massive place and you can use it pretty much however you like. But I imagine it'd be pretty hard for a newbie to get into it now. I joined in the beta which I think helped.

Needless to say, I'll re-share some of your stuff if you sign up to help you get started with a few followers. That stands for anyone.

I think there are some other TDP people on G+ too.

I have it but don't use it. I don't understand why photographers are pushing it so much. I find Twitter more useful.