Thread: Time lapse with Magic Lantern - LOL easy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Time lapse with Magic Lantern - LOL easy

For the basic time lapse that doesn't involve using ultra long exposures that change over time say like a sunrise/sunset, putting together a basic time lapse movie was just so dirt simple - it was a hoot.

As storm blew in the other day north our house and I just set up the camera on the tripod, adjusted the exposure where I wanted it, set the image quality to s2 (1920x1080) and set the intervalometer in Magic Lantern to 1 fps. (also turned off image preview as well)

Downloaded the images to the PC, opened up MS moviemaker, loaded in all the stills, set the transition to .03 seconds. Saved the movie.... Done.

The resulting "movie" had enough production value to entertain friends and families - perhaps a meteorology class and I have seen lesser efforts on the TLC/Discovery channel.

Next steps are:
    1-play w/ frames per second vs. image transitions in software to see if a slower fps can work - note at 1 fps the shutter count gets big fast.
    2- fiddle with mirror lock up so the mirror stays locked up during a basic exposure unchanging series - noisy and distracting.
    3- charge the battery all the way up and see precisely how many frames a single battery charge can produce (though rated for 500 images, a partially charged battery rattled off 600 images of the storm cloud and the battery meter didn't budge)
    4- price out the cost of a shutter mechanism replacement as it won't take long to blow through a 100k shutter actuation count.
    5- work on Magic Lantern FPS override process to see if I can shoot "native" time lapse in movie mode with an ultra slow frame rate. (certainly would help shutter counts)

Thanks for reading, I am still giggling at how easy this is compared to the olden golden film days.

Mike
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 05-09-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911