howdy, folks! first post here. let me start off with a bit of a introduction. i am novice photographer, my subject passion being aviation, all things related. my subject is usually quick moving, constantly changing light etc. as with most subjects, sharpness counts. i started out with a rebel t1i and the kit lenses. it was a great camera and took plenty of good shots.

my friend soon was purchasing a new 5dmk3, and was getting rid of his 7D, so I snatched that up. i used the 7D for several days at the airfield with my 55-250EFS and a 18-135EFS. i was really just getting used to camera and it's settings. i have long wanted the 100-400L, as most say that is the lens of choice for aircraft spotting (and occasional wildlife spotting which I enjoy as well). i viewed ISO 12233 Resolution Chart Comparison Ad nauseam. day and night for weeks, trying to decide what lens to purchase. the comparison is a really handy tool - and to be honest i was ready to see drastic improvements over my kit EFS lenses with either purchase.

fast forward to yesterday, when I received my brand new 70-300L from Adorama. I slapped it on the camera (carefully of course) and started taking pictures in the backyard, around the house etc. i snapped a few then turned on the preview and looked at some shots. i zoomed in expecting to see those crisp lines, that sharpness and contrast everyone raves about with the L glass. it looked great until you zoomed 100%. i put on my 18-135EFS and took some similar shots (nothing scientific). the results were very much alike, i could barely see a difference.

i thought for sure my mind was playing tricks (probably still is). this morning i went out and took some shots at my local air force base - hoping to see some improvements in image quality - but i really didn't.

i will say this is my first L glass. the build quality is superb, it is so sturdy. the AF is amazing. maybe my expectations where too high? i do not expect the 70-300L to make me a professional photographer. i do not expect the images to be ready for publish to flickr when I export them from my CF card. i did, however, expect to see a difference in sharpness and contrast - as suggested by other users.

so today after shooting at the airport, i set the camera up on the tripod, set the 10sec timer, set the exposure, focal, aperture all the same and took some shots. i will attach them below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7172919898_e01d9ef6d1_z.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	1016

Name:	7172920076_c9bab35115_z.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	1017

Name:	7172920134_b1f6c2b32a_z.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	1018

Name:	7172919966_705bfccfc0_z.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	1019

i do not want to come off as a 'troll', or a complainer, whiner, whatever. i want to make sure i am getting my money worth here.

thanks for looking