Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Annular Eclipse May 20,2012

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    The last time there was a solar eclipes, we watched at work using the glass that we use to look at 3000 deg F molten metal and 5000 deg F molten zerconia.
    Ha.
    The last time there was a solar eclipse, everyone at my work went outside and looked at it through CD-Rs...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I saw what was called welding safety glasses that were shades of 5-8, but I do not think those would ever be considered good enough for arc welding.
    Yep, and yet welding safety googles with #5 shade glass pop up twice in the first four options if you type in "solar eclipse glasses" on amazon. For welding glass, I've only seen the #14 recommended. I've read about people successfully using shades ~11-12, and I may try shade 12 with the 7D in Live view. But for direct viewing, I am going to stay with the baader film I bought.

These are some summaries as I have found on the web:
    http://www.perkins-observatory.org/eclipsesafety.html

http://earthsky.org/space/view-may-2...f-venus-safely

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/safety.html#filter

BTW, for photography:

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/SEphoto.html

http://www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/SEphoto.html
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 05-18-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Ha.
    The last time there was a solar eclipse, everyone at my work went outside and looked at it through CD-Rs...
    I wonder how much eye damage is caused with solar eclipe's and peoples homemade methods of looking at it.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I wonder how much eye damage is caused with solar eclipe's and peoples homemade methods of looking at it.
    I've been wondering the same thing myself. Or, how much damage would there be if you look through shade 12 welders glass versus shade 14. Or, how much help would the UV filter on the camera lens be if it was stacked with a 10 stop ND??

Personally, I don't know. But what I do know is that my camera sensor and my eyes are worth more to me than the $130 I just spent to have Baader film overnighted. Some things aren't worth messing around with.

BTW, as a kid, I saw my first eclipse through X-ray film.

Since Albuquerque, NM is a prime viewing spot for the eclipse, the event has created quite a frenzy for viewing material in this area. As of yesterday, all of the libraries and most of the museums were out of viewing glasses and since I failed to plan ahead and do as Kayaker did, I had pretty much given up on getting filter material for shooting the event. Lucky for me, I found an article in the newspaper where one of the tint shops had planned ahead and purchased certified 5.0 ND tint film and was selling it for $2.00 for personal viewing strips and $10.00 for an 8x8 sheet for telescopes and cameras--So I ran out and got me some this morning. I am not sure how photographically clear the film is, but it's better than doing without.

Another unfortunate thing about this frenzy is that there are several unscrupulous venders selling regular car window tint for as much as $5.00 a strip and people are actually buying it. Not a bad deal, get ripped off and go blind in one swift move. I am wondering if these guys are in business with the local opthamologists.

IF you were lucky or smart enough to get appropriate filter material for this event, there is a great website for estimating exposure parameters HERE . I think the link was posted earlier, but I will do it again for those interested.

Looking forward to seeing the pics generated from this event.

Happy shooting,

Bob
    Bob

Good luck guys!

Well, It was a beautiful evening for shooting an eclipse here in Central New Mexico. Unfortunately, a cloud rolled by just as the moon was reaching the "ring of fire" stage, so I missed getting the one I really went out for. Also, The sun set before the eclipse completed but still made for a few interesting shots.

Enjoy:

7D @700mm, useing 5.0 ND filter film. No Editing yet. I took 1300 pics of this thing, But I thought these 5 would do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8929.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	1061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8959.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	1062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9441.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	1063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9729.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	1064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	1060
    Bob

Thanks for sharing Bob,
    looks amazing. I missed the whole thing here in California (family stuff).

With 1300 pictures you could do a time lapse movie, no?

Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    Thanks for sharing Bob,
    looks amazing. I missed the whole thing here in California (family stuff).

With 1300 pictures you could do a time lapse movie, no?

Arnt
    That'd only be practical if the interval between shots was consistent. Otherwise it'd be extremely choppy and poor quality.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Thanks Ahab, But Rocco is correct, and Since I had to follow the sun in the frame, the sun is never in excatly the same spot within the frame, so that would even make it worse. I think the best I could do is maybe superimpose select images in a single photo to show the track.
    Bob