Hi all. I suppose i am in a somewhat fortunate position. Over the years i've saved my money and have been fortunate enough to purchase a Canon 500 F4 IS Land 300 F2.8 IS L. Whilst we all know these are two amazing len's and i love them. I attach them to my 1D MK4 or 7D dependant on what im doing (sport/wildlife) and have always loved the image quality. Unfortunatly, time has moved on and as with all of us, im getting older. Ive noticed carrying all my lens/camera gear up hills, across tracks is very tiring and the stuff is very heavy. Whilst im loathed to admit it, i am seriously considering selling the two primes and investing in the new 200-400. Prices for the primes has withstood the new ones launch due to the small improved optical quality and massive price hike and as with my pro sports friend, he said his friends who do pro sports are keeping or purchasing the old len's. So now is a good time to sell. Ive checked the metadata of my shots and find i rarly shoot wide open with the 300 so such a wide apeture in all but the very rare occurances is something i dont need especially with the improved ISO performance of the 1D4 over my 7D. As for the 500 i do shoot wide open so may on occassion miss the f4 or that extra 100mm. It is annoying that time has marched on but i have to admit, i am really feeling the weight. The new lens is lighter overall, optically close from what i read, will cover the focal range but again is a bit of a compromise for reach.

So what do you guys think? Any idea when the new lens will arrive? Anyone had a similar problem with age/weight issues with the superteles. I just hope i wont regret it if i sell.

Thanks for any advice.

Mick the oldish dude.