Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red eye and zoom lens

red eye and zoom lens

I had to shoot an event inside a dimly lit room. It was a large room, probably 100 x 100, with ceilings at least 20 feet high. Sort of like an auditorium.

I used a 7D and a 70-300 L, with a 430EX mounted on the camera. I've never shot a zoom, indoors, with a zoom lens/speedlite combo.

I got quite a few shots with red eye. Easy enough to fix.

I had a couple of Pocket Wizards, and would have been able to move the speedlite off to the side, but I had only two hands, and no one else to hold the speedlite/PW.

Is this typical to see red-eye with a zoom/speedlite combo?

The zoom has nothing to do with it, really. Red eye is caused by having the flash pointing straight at the subject and too close to the optical axis of the lens.

I find that a flash bracket helps in those situations - I use an OC-E3 for triggering, as PWs can be unpredictable at very close range.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    The zoom has nothing to do with it, really. Red eye is caused by having the flash pointing straight at the subject and too close to the optical axis of the lens.
    Wouldn't the subject and the optical axis be on nearly the same axis with an extended zoom though?

Anyway, good advice on the bracket.

It was a horribly lit room. Some can lighting above. I had the ISO cranked up as far as I could tolerate it (1600), but it still was insufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterdown View Post
    Wouldn't the subject and the optical axis be on nearly the same axis with an extended zoom though?

Anyway, good advice on the bracket.

It was a horribly lit room. Some can lighting above. I had the ISO cranked up as far as I could tolerate it (1600), but it still was insufficient.
    I use a flash bracket with speedlight quite a bit. I get more red-eye when using a long lens. The flash bracket helps to angle the flash high enough above the lens that I do not get red-eye. Since I am farther away with the long lens the angle is smaller allowing the lens to see the red-eye reflection. It also is certain people. I have had it happen at a wedding reception and I find it is the same person every time.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    I have had it happen at a wedding reception and I find it is the same person every time.
    Would that be the father of the bride?
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Yes, so you need to get the flash away from that axis.

Also, as Mark points out, it's more of an issue with longer focal lengths because of the narrower angle of view. I suppose that's what you meant by 'zoom' but telephoto would be the correct term (the 8-15mm fisheye and 16-35mm are zooms, too, but less prone to redeye).

Or you mount an IR laser that's just out of the visible range inline with your lens. Then you have the laser pre flash for you by a hundred milliseconds. Everyone's pupils will contract in response and voila - no red eye.

Just kidding...(am I?)

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I suppose that's what you meant by 'zoom' but telephoto would be the correct term (the 8-15mm fisheye and 16-35mm are zooms, too, but less prone to redeye).
    Yes, telephoto is what I meant. But, shouldn't it more correctly be telephoto zoom?

I just tried the flash, mounted on a PW TT5, and a MiniTT1 on the hot shoe of the camera. It fired without a hiccup, within 3 feet of each other.

Now, for the next time this situation happens (as Mark pointed out, in a wedding environment), all I need is an extra pair of hands to hold the flash.

I just tried the flash, mounted on a PW TT5, and a MiniTT1 on the hot shoe of the camera. It fired without a hiccup, within 3 feet of each other.
    I think I recall something in the PW manual about not having them too close.

FWIW, I use a Manfrotto 233B Flash Bracket with a Giottos MH1004 mini ball head attached. Lots of flexibility, works great as a traditional bracket, also allows using a regular Speedlite as a macro flash (positioned right at the end of the lens).

Sorry, my first post on this thread said the 430EX. It's the 430EX II.

The manual says about 1 meter away. I was a little more than that, and the flash kept up with the shutter actuations.

I'll look into a different bracket. I have one of those Newton camera brackets. It's good, but it tends to get a little wobbly when the flash is mounted on it.