Thread: spot meter / auto focus point

spot meter / auto focus point

Which of the Canons have spot metering attached to focus points.

I can see how this would work with a single focus point,
    but how does it handle multiple focus points?

That's a feature reserved for the 1 series. The 1dx will have it as well.. But I have no idea how it behaves with more than one point. I'd assume that it just meters from the middle of whatever points you choose.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

AF point-linked spot metering is only available on 1-series bodies, and only when you manually select an AF point (you can't select more than one). In automatic AF point selection mode on a 1-series, even if you have spot metering set, the camera uses evaluative metering.

afaik, only 1n, 1v, 1d, 1ds, and 3 do true af-spot linked metering.

Although apparently the 7D has some fancy thing where it will evaluate the metering of all points that are in focus or nearly in focus, and weight them more heavily when doing its 'full evaluative' metering. It's not true spot-linked, but it's closer than nothing. (someone want to clarify this? I'm at work and don't have a manual handy). And anyone know if the 5D3 does the same?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    In automatic AF point selection mode on a 1-series, even if you have spot metering set, the camera uses evaluative metering.
    Hi John,

Missed all you guys and gals!

I have the 1D MKIV and and if Automatic AF point selection is used in conjunction with spot metering, then the camera will use the spot metering at the center of the viewfinder, not evaluative metering.

Rich

Oops - thanks, Rich! Good to hear from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    afaik, only 1n, 1v, 1d, 1ds, and 3 do true af-spot linked metering.

Although apparently the 7D has some fancy thing where it will evaluate the metering of all points that are in focus or nearly in focus, and weight them more heavily when doing its 'full evaluative' metering. It's not true spot-linked, but it's closer than nothing. (someone want to clarify this? I'm at work and don't have a manual handy). And anyone know if the 5D3 does the same?
    Hey Doc,

It sounds like you're talking about center-weighted average metering. The 7D and the MKIV both have this.

In evaluative metering, the meter will assess the entire scene in a grid-like pattern and then select the best exposure for the entire (frame) scene.

In center-weighted average metering, the meter will assess the entire scene, but it will give more importance or emphasis towards what is located at the center, while it selects the exposure.

Rich

Thanks John!

I was getting a little burnt out, so I took a little break, but I've been lurking around.., otherwise I would have gone through total withdrawal.

I look forward to contributing again, as well as catching up with all of you!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post
    Hey Doc,

It sounds like you're talking about center-weighted average metering. The 7D and the MKIV both have this.

In evaluative metering, the meter will assess the entire scene in a grid-like pattern and then select the best exposure for the entire (frame) scene.

In center-weighted average metering, the meter will assess the entire scene, but it will give more importance or emphasis towards what is located at the center, while it selects the exposure.

Rich
    Hey,
    It wasn't Centre-weighted I was thinking of either. I'd never heard of what I described, but I read someone on a forum (here or CR) say something like it, that in some combination of metering modes and AF points, all in-focus points (no matter where they are) will be weighted more heavily when metering a scene.
    And i'm pretty sure they were talking about the 7D, but i've just skimmed through the manual and couldn't find it (nor in the 5D3 manual). So maybe they were talking about the 1DX, or i dreamed it (yes, that's possible)...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos