Thread: Organizing Photos

Organizing Photos

Hello to all!
    Any input on going from download to file organizing? Currently I do not do a lot of post editing though I will in the future. For now I would like to create an easy work flow that will make my life easer later. I have been using iPhoto for the last 40,000 pics, creating folders to organize as well as using iPhotos "events" as a way to separate not only the events but also to group things like "flowers" etc. Before I get in any deeper should I use a different method for downloading and categorizing and grouping, like the DPP and EOS utility?

Thanks for any input...

Phoenix

THANKS to all coments! All noted and now I choose..

Peace to the House of TDP...

P.

Re: Organizing Photos

I highly suggest evaluating and utilizing a Digital Asset Management program. There is a wide variety of programs to chose from, and they might have more features than iPhoto.

iPhoto is good but limited in features and I found it rather slow. I use Aperture with great success and with my fast card reader, it's a great combo. It's personal I guess...

lightroom, i like it because it sorts files when import and u can go back and look for them by filters. now I only have about 10k photos, but I imagine if you have 50k or 100k or so it may be slow.

If you are already use to iPhoto, Aperture is great way to go. It uses a similar way of downloading and categorizing images with extensive RAW editing capabilities.

I use Lightroom. It's great for managing large volumes of photos. You can upload the images, flag the keepers, sort the keepers, and then fix the keepers (exposure, contrast, saturation, noise reduction, etc.).

It works well, and is meant to work well with Adobe's Photoshop family, and it's great for HDR and Panoramas. But, if you're not planning to use Photoshop for your editing, you might prefer a different program.

You can also manage web galleries, printing, and slideshows. I would strongly suggest Lightroom.

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra

I use Lightroom. It's great for managing large volumes of photos. You can upload the images, flag the keepers, sort the keepers, and then fix the keepers (exposure, contrast, saturation, noise reduction, etc.).

It works well, and is meant to work well with Adobe's Photoshop family, and it's great for HDR and Panoramas. But, if you're not planning to use Photoshop for your editing, you might prefer a different program.

You can also manage web galleries, printing, and slideshows. I would strongly suggest Lightroom.

Yeah, Aperture does all that too for $100 less and with a familiar interface.

I find that iPhoto is good at organizing and using to view photos, but I never edit photos there.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]The test to file organizing is can you find the specific photo quickly?<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]No matter what software you use -what does it take to notate the file and what is required to find the file?<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]Names of individuals in the photo, place wherethe photowas taken, the event, etc. Can you find the exact photo you want in less than 15 sec?<o></o>