Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help with choosing a telephoto...

Just a quick plug for the 70 – 300 L. I use that lens extensively on my 7D, and the image quality is fantastic. It doesn't matter if it's 70 mm or 300 mm or anywhere in between, it's fantastic. However, everyone is correct to point out that it is a "slow "lens. It is not so useful indoors with any moving subjects, but the image stabilization is excellent and works well with stationary subjects indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronh View Post
    Genius!! I’d not thought about combining the renting possibility as well as buying! And that was evil recommending a new general purpose lens but also another good idea. I think a combo of the 70-300 L and the 24-105 L and then renting the 100-400 for the games.

Cheers again for all the advice.
    I wouldn't like any of those choices for the Olympics, I would want the versatility of the F/2.8 of the 70-200mm II. I have been to way to many games this year and speed is everything, especially if you are unsure of the lighting.

The 200mm F/2 would be a good rental and fast enough but not versatile. Depending on the events you are going to, and since you are using full frame 5D III the 300mm F/2.8 might be a good rental. With either you better be prepared to pack some weight.

Renting a fast prime (200mm or 300mm) for the olympics seems like it would not be versital enough. The athletes or action will not be stationary (move closer and farther away), and your distance from the action from event to event is going to be unpredictable. So it seems to me a zoom is needed to cover a wider range of distances from the action that you are likely to encounter. Personally, I would go for the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, and resort to the 1.4X converter outdoors if you need more reach (more reach may not be needed indoors).

I have the 24-105 and 100-400, and neither is likely to be good indoors (as others have stated as well). And if they are not good indoors, then I doubt the 70-300L would be any good either.

Given a choice (money not an object), can anyone here seriously say they would pick a 24-100L, 70-300L, or the 100-400L over the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ???? I know they all have different uses, but if I could only get one lens... it would be the 70-200 II if I had the money.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Just a thought or two. Have you checked with the venue(s) to find out what, if any, restrictions there might be on the longest focal length that you'll allowed to bring in with you? As you said you have tickets already is there a seat map that will provide some information as to the distance you can expect to be from the action? If you can find these things out you may find that it could help narrow down your options to make the decision making easier. The other thing you might try is attending some college/university events of the same sports to get some idea of whether you can get a fast enough shutter speed with the aperture you are considering. Just remember the Olympians will be a wee bit faster...

Edit: Of the lenses I use for sports the 70-200 f2.8II is ALWAYS on one of my bodies. A wider zoom or 300 is on the other depending on the needs and the venue. A 1.4 TC is always on hand as well if I need the reach and a minimum aperture of f4 will work.
    Last edited by jrw; 06-08-2012 at 01:01 AM.