Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: T4i vs. 60D

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    That said, the T4i appears to be a great upgrade over the T3i. I think it's a bigger gain from one model to the next then the T3i was over the T2i.
    I'm not so sure about that - I suppose it depends on whether you shoot a lot of video or not. The T3i mainly added an articulated LCD, which can be very useful for both stills and video. The T4i mainly adds AF during video, which is useful only during video.

John,

They did add 60D equivalent AF for stills and roughly equivalent frame per second rates. Higher ISO could also be cleaner, but I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere. In camera HDR could be a nice feature too.

Dave

Good points, Dave!

I agree - if you are into video or somewhat into video, it is very intriguing, otherwise the touch screen MIGHT be quicker, 9 cross points, vs. only the center is interesting as well. After all, it is the same sensor, and the high iso comes for Digic 5 vs. sensor improvement. Makes the focus system better than the 5dII - I think.

So as interesting as this is..... (Geez I hate to ask this but...) what does this mean to the next body update? The 7d2???? and of course before you can buy the 1dx (sorry I had to poke, just couldn't stop myself)

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I'm not so sure about that - I suppose it depends on whether you shoot a lot of video or not. The T3i mainly added an articulated LCD, which can be very useful for both stills and video. The T4i mainly adds AF during video, which is useful only during video.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

The AF has been improved but I'm not sure it's going to be the same or better than the 60D, kinda like the 5D III vs the 1Dx. Similar AF hardware but not the same AF performance.

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

There is probably better performance based on the voltage available to swing the lens.

Does set up an interesting "gap" in the offerings - 5dii at 1700+/- for an "entry" level FF - though the feature set is certainly dated compared to even the 60d. Same thing w/ the Nikon. Really sets up some interesting - largely useless - speculation as to what and when something comes next..... before the 1dx is in hits the shelves or perhaps shortly there after

Have been thinking get a second body, 5DII, 5D III, 1DIII or 1DIV, even just get another 7D, but finally this T4i seems the one I will get, size, shorter shutter lag and price(will wait till it drop) are the deal maker.will use it for family event general purpose and company with the big lenses for stationary bird shots plus 7D+400mm 5.6 for BIF, sounds perfect haha!

T4i looks nice, and the improved AF would be very nice. Still, I could not see upgrading to T4i (or 60D) from the T3i I own now. Just not enough difference there. If I had a T1i, maybe. I will wait another year or two and then get the 7D2 or 70D. Before I would bite on a replacement body, I would want to see (in addition to the improved AF the T4i apparently has):

Significantly better high-ISO performance (equal to at very least 2 stops in IQ-preferably 3) for sure
    microfocus adjustment for sure
    weathersealing would be nice, but not absolutely necessary
    Last edited by Scott Stephen; 06-24-2012 at 02:42 AM.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

Scott - other the 1.4x we have the same set up. I am thinking of going FF later in the summer - couple of projects have to finish up, then I can take a couple of weeks off and go through the canyon lands in Arizona and Utah on a extended photo shoot -

I was thinking of the 5dIII - but might rent it for a couple of reasons.
    1) Not sure the IQ for what I shoot is "worth it" from the 5dII - there a lot of posts saying the IQ is marginal improvement in "normal ISO" ranges I don't typically shoot at the fringes - way less than 1% of my shots are at or above ISO 800. The T3i has a very similar focusing system as the 5dII so I can reasonably approximate the differences.
    2) Might do a Daniel Browning and move to the dark side.
    3) Both Canon and Nikon a "missing" a current feature set body in the $2k range - I suspect neither can assume the other will leave the hole alone (5dII while a great camera doesn't have current FPS/AF/ISO/etc feature sets) - I suspect both will fill the gap in the next 12 months or so.

I agree w/ JJ that the T4i has a very capable feature set - though by the time the price comes down, the "next thing" will likely be announced - Electronics/Tech are always cheaper/better "next month"

It is indeed a great time to be alive and be a photo/tech enthusiast with a little bit of discretionary income.

I agree w/ JJ that the T4i has a very capable feature set - though by the time the price comes down, the "next thing" will likely be announced - Electronics/Tech are always cheaper/better "next month"
    I like to wait a little bit of time, the 5D3 is selling less than $3200 now on ebay, and can avoid some bugs like the 1D3 had, but of course, not always good to wait, like the Nikon d 800.
    like Joel's idea, get one generation older and save o lot of money, especially for non pro shooter like me.
    back to the OP, I will definitely get the 60D now because the price drop.
    Last edited by JJphoto; 06-24-2012 at 09:47 PM.