Thread: UTAH!!! I have an unexpected trip to Salt Lake have have 2.5 days on my hands

UTAH!!! I have an unexpected trip to Salt Lake have have 2.5 days on my hands

So tell me where to go (be kind) and I will do the best I can. I have been through Southern Utah and it is really great - do I do that again w/ better gear or head north, east, or west?

I will "free up" on Friday afternoon and catch the red eye Sunday night. (Next week). Thinking of renting either a 5dII or 5dIII (I would ponder a a d800 but would have to rent a lens and it starts to get out of hand).

Many thanks

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I don't know the area around Salt Lake, but 2 spots I enjoy in Utah are about 4hrs drive from Salt lake-
    Bryce Canyon, and Zion National park.

There was a discussion earlier on Utah:

http://community.the-digital-picture...highlight=utah

Really touch decision. But the good news is that I think you win where ever you go. I would point out that Yellowstone NP (5 1/2 hrs) is just a little bit further than Zion NP or Canyonlands NP (5 hrs) from Salt Lake City. Capitol Reef NP seems to be the closest (3.5 hrs) with Bryce Canyon at ~4.5 hrs. All approximate according to bing. So if you don't mind driving a loop through Yellowstone and Teton NPs could be done in 2.5 days.

But most parts of Utah are beautiful enough that you may not need to travel too far to have great photo ops. Hopefully Rocco or someone else in Utah chimes in....

I spent 90 minutes on google earth wandering around east/south east Utah last night - wow - what a set of landscapes!!! I can't imagine what the first "settlers" and scouts thought when the first came across them - just stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    I can't imagine what the first "settlers" and scouts thought when the first came across them - just stunning.
    ....quick guess..."How much further until Oregon?" Or maybe "I am soooo thirsty"

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    ....quick guess..."How much further until Oregon?" Or maybe "I am soooo thirsty"
    I did notice that the relative humidity was 4% in Moab per the national weather service - I thought there was a zero missing, it is pretty darn rare for Orlando to be below 40%

If you really are in Salt Lake a good hike to take is to Cecret Lake (pronounced secret). It is up Little Cottonwood canyon at the Alta ski resort. Here's a link to a pic I took there a few years ago. The resort is about a 40 min drive from downtown.
    http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/bthurgood/5615581808/

I should have the late afternoon early evening available for photo - when I was informed my trip was cut short, I didn't pack hiking/walking gear so I won't be able to get far from the road.

I have heard Little Cotton canyon is the most likely/best place. I will be renting a car tomorrow and driving around.

Thanks to everyone for their help and assistance