Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Foundation Kit is available at B&H

Im ready to discuss filters.

I have the foundation kit assembled and ready to use.
    I have the BIG STOPPER back ordered (6 month back order)

I am wanting to start with some graduated neutral density filters.

.3 .6 and .9
    I think I want to stick with Lee.

But what do I want?

Lee Neutral Density Polyester Filter Set w/ Gelsnap Holder (this is .3 .6 and .9) but why is it so inexpensive at $65 for all three

When a single .9 is $95 Lee Neutral Density .9 Graduated Soft Filter 6x4" Resin

=
    OK so one is polyester?? and one is Resin, is there also a glass version.

I'd rather spend the extra and get the better item, its just kind of confusing.

I've been to the Lee site but I'm still confused.

By the way this will be for outdoor landscapes.
    The Big Stopper is for: well the stuff it does best.

Then should I get the polarizer? (square or 105?)

My local camera guys are kind of out of their comfort zone in this area, and I guess I have outgrown a lot of what they are comfortable with.

The poly filter set isn't a graduated filter. They are neutral density and they are 4x4 and come in a kit that you can attach the filter to the front of a lens. I am not sure if they work with the holder, you need to do some investigation. It doesn't appear to be what you want.

If you want a circular polarizer you go with the 105. The other square polarizers will only be linear. But good luck with finding that, I was going to buy a 105 but no one has the holder that attaches it to the lee holder.

Hi iND,

Glad to hear that you got your Lee Foundation Kit. How do you like the kit and step-up ring?

I'll try to help guide you along. I hear you would like to buy the good stuff. So, you don't want the polyester filters, that's the cheap stuff. The polyester filters are for color temperature correction, color effects, and B&W conversion, and neutral density. They are only standard (solid) density and not graduated density, so they don't vary the density from light to dark within the filter. They polyester filters are lower quality than the "resin" graduated neutral density filters, and much lower quality than the "pro glass" solid neutral density filters.

Here are examples of the lower quality polyester filters (that you don't want):

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?searchinfo=lee+polyester

If you want other "solid (not graduated) neutral density" filters that are "less than" the 10-stop Lee Big Stopper (sometimes 10-stops is too much), then you should also consider the "Lee Pro Glass filters" that are available in 2 stop and 3 stops below: These come in 4"X4" (100mm x 100mm) Also keep in mind that the glass CPL is about 1.5 stops. So, you have many f-stop combination options.

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?searchinfo=lee+pro+glass&category=429 4956486

You'll want the Graduated Neutral Density Filters which are Resin in the 4" x 6" size for your holder (100mm x 150mm and 2mm thick). These come in hard or soft transitions:

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o..."x4" %26 4"x6"

They are about $95 each, but you can buy the Lee 3 filter kit for $240. I wouldn't recommend the Blender filter, since that transition zone is fairly long at 6 inches, whereas the soft and hard grads have a quicker graduated transition from light to dark. The 1 stop is probably not necessary, however for $50 extra you may want it in the kit. The 0.6 and 0.9 are the most common. Soft is good for varying terrain and hard for flat horizons.

3 filter Kits:

http://www.adorama.com/LENDGS.html

http://www.adorama.com/LENDGSS.html

I discussed the polarizers on the previous page, so you should check that post out and let me know if you have any questions. Lee also makes a "square shaped" Circular polarizer. The square shape doesn't have to mean that it's a linear polarizer, although they also make a square linear polarizer.

Rich
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 07-17-2012 at 03:52 AM. Reason: I can't type

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post

I discussed the polarizers on the previous page, so you should check that post out and let me know if you have any questions. Lee also makes a "square shaped" Circular polarizer. The square shape doesn't have to mean that it's a linear polarizer, although they also make a square linear polarizer.

Rich
    Rich, Lee does have a square one, but to use it you have to rotate your holder This would make it hard to stack additional filters on top. To me this kind of defeats the purpose of having the filter holder in the first place. Or is there a different set up that I don't know about?
    http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/polariser

If any one comes across the 105mm and the accessory ring to hold it on please let me know. I wanted to take one with me to Yellow Stone next week.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Rich, Lee does have a square one, but to use it you have to rotate your holder This would make it hard to stack additional filters on top. To me this kind of defeats the purpose of having the filter holder in the first place. Or is there a different set up that I don't know about?

Rick
    Rick,

Yes, Lee makes a square Circular Polarizer (CPL), square linear polarizer and round CPL. (For people that aren't sure what to get, you always want a Circular Polarizer (CPL) whether it's square or round if you would like to maintain AF, because linear polarizers confuse the Auto-focus system of the camera).

You don't have to rotate the entire holder to adjust the square CPL, you can just pull it out of the holder and rotate the square CPL filter in 90 degree increments until you get your desired affect, and then put it back in the holder. You do loose some fine tuning with the square CPL, however you probably don't want the full CPL effect with wide landscapes including the sky, and the full CPL affect also reduces the look of flowing water. If you need fine tuning of the square CPL, then of course you can turn the filter holder and if you have a solid ND in another slot, then it won't affect that either, however you would have to handhold the GND or add extra slots and risk vignetting again. The circular CPL can be fine tuned by turning the dial in less than 90 degree increments.

The square CPL has the advantage of being cheaper, thinner, and being mounted closer to the lens there is less chance of vignetting. You also save money on not having to buy the accessory mounting ring. The disadvantage is that it takes up a slot on the filter holder, which can limit you from adding an additional solid ND and/or GND to the holder or you can always add extra slots and risk vignetting once again.

I'm definitely not pushing the square CPL, I happen to have both the Lee 105mm CPL with accessory ring and the square CPL. I prefer the 105mm round CPL with ring adapter. The only reason I bought the square CPL was because they are always out it and I wanted to own it, because I've heard that the 105mm can vignette with ultra-wides on FF, which is the direction I'm headed in.

Rich
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 07-17-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Hi iND,

How's the filter choice going?

Rich