Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57

Thread: Photo Finish..TV show

  1. #21
    Senior Member Kombi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    I think the jury read too much into that picture. I found it quite boring
    Like most images- the best is highly subjective. I liked the Macro-esque picture the most, the waterfall the second, and least liked the winning image.
    However I agree with the judges and think the Winning image best captured the assignment best.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    I think the jury read too much into that picture. I found it quite boring
    I think the judges got it right, the other two gave it away more than the winners picture was any good though. One picture was almost macro and really not landscape. The waterfall picture was to common you see them all the time (even the gal with the macro picture had waterfall pictures she didn't use). I thought the winners picture was very bland, but I think she had the most unique area to work with.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kenosha, WI
    Posts
    3,863
    Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    anybody around here has his favorite lens tattooed on his chest like the guy in the landscape episode?
    I'll never tell!

  4. #24
    Moderator Steve U's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,942
    Show us your "lensbaby".
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

  5. #25
    Moderator Steve U's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,942
    Wedding photography tonight.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    759
    Well, I got home late and managed to remember just before it started, so did see the Wedding show.
    The guy pretty much summed up how I'd be, comfortable with the technicals of the camera, but petrified of doing an actual wedding. Surprising how well those images turned out, especially after the middle chick, was a bit mean giving a 1-series to a total amateur (is it even possible to mount a speedlite backwards without breaking tabs off or something?)
    I'm wondering how much PP time they were given, if any. They did comment on the 'tie' shot being too warm and orange, but didn't seem to mind too much in the end.

    Anyway, I'm definitely going to have to look up that first episode to watch online now (and try to figure out how to get myself a spot on that show too)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Well, I got home late and managed to remember just before it started, so did see the Wedding show.
    The guy pretty much summed up how I'd be, comfortable with the technicals of the camera, but petrified of doing an actual wedding. Surprising how well those images turned out, especially after the middle chick, was a bit mean giving a 1-series to a total amateur (is it even possible to mount a speedlite backwards without breaking tabs off or something?)
    I'm wondering how much PP time they were given, if any. They did comment on the 'tie' shot being too warm and orange, but didn't seem to mind too much in the end.

    Anyway, I'm definitely going to have to look up that first episode to watch online now (and try to figure out how to get myself a spot on that show too)
    I don't think they were given much PP time if any. Some of the things the judges picked on could have been corrected.

    Manual Focus, OOF for the win.

  8. #28
    Moderator Steve U's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,942
    This episode was a little contentious for me. It just goes to show that you have to follow the brief.
    None of the photos screamed "wedding" to me, but it was what the second time bride, children focused, nothing cheesy bride wanted.
    To me they were more like candid portraits. I don't think any of those shots would hang near the front door of the family home as "the shot" from our wedding.
    Did anyone notice that Skye was manually focusing what seemed to be a 50/1.2mm lens?
    Might help explain why OOF was the winner on the day.
    I do love the show.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    Did anyone notice that Skye was manually focusing what seemed to be a 50/1.2mm lens?
    Might help explain why OOF was the winner on the day.
    I could understand putting the flash on backwards, in fact I think I have done that in the past and had a DOH.... moment when I finally figured out why the flash wouldn't work. I cringed a little when she turned the flash at a 90 degree angle and took off shooting, if I had done this I would have washed every picture out. While I thought the last fellow was bouncing his light he ended up washing out the color of the brides dress.

    But seriously, Skye used MF when you have Canon's flag ship AF system. None of the pictures they showed her taking were in focus. OOF for the win.... was it skill controlling the DOF with MF or was it chance? I suppose her picture was better in an artsy fartsie kind of way, but it said nothing about a wedding.


    The show has entertainment value, for me any way. I think it is similar to this; my wife is an RN and watches the medical shows on TV. I ask her sometimes is that show how it really is, and the answer is always the same...uh...no...

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kenosha, WI
    Posts
    3,863
    Other than having their photo chosen as the winning "Photo of the Day", do they win anything like cash, prizes, B&H gift card??

    I think the show is entertaining to watch but as with all reality shows, you can't help but wonder how much is staged and how much they are helped with off-camera. All in all, I could be biased but I think this is definitely one of the better reality shows that have been on TV! It's fun spotting shots that I would have taken that they missed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •