Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 7d Firmware Upgrade

I'm looking forward to the updated firmware, for me I'm looking for the ability to rate photos; faster burst rate, quicker zooming, panning, the time zone setting is handy as lower end cameras had this option. The video updates sound fine, but I don't use that function enough to get too excited about it- I suppose when I'm recording a waterfall I can turn the audio down a bit.

I too am wondering why they are waiting on releasing it. I'm sure this is to hold people who want to upgrade to the next 7D as I'm sure there's a delay in the mkII.
    --

Max ISO finally! That alone is HUGE for me. I shoot a lot of concerts, and the auto ISO constantly varies between 400 and 3200. Never been able to find the "right" manual ISO setting, since lighting conditions change so quickly and so drastically, so always had to use auto. Some shots at 3200 are useable, but being able to cap it at 1600 or so will be a huge, huge help.
    Audio... I guess that's helpful, but any video I'd be doing that I wanted to look and sound "professional" I'd have an external audio setup anyway.

I am still waiting for the self portrait attractiveness filter..... other than 1/8000 iso 100 f22.... lens cap on - just in case.

This seems to be a good step to update/expand the 7d to some of the 60d/T3i/T4i feature sets - like setting ISO max, on camera audio, etc. Updated burst limit, etc.

If I am a stills shooter - this is getting pretty darn good for a crop sensor I would think. Not quite the uber low light/high iso of the 5dIII but plenty of other useful things.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    FWIW, Auto ISO on the 7D (current firmware) runs from 100-3200, you only get ISO 6400 if you set it there youself. But I'd often prefer to limit it to 1600 or even 800.
    Ah, I didn't realised that but after a quick check, indeed, it only goes to 3200 which is as you said still too high to my taste even if I don't print posters. I think the blurred background produced by my 50mm f/1.4 suffers a lot when reaching ISO 1600. At first sight, I would have thought, who cares it's blurred but it doesn't look good.

Cheers,
    S.
    Last edited by Steph; 06-28-2012 at 07:13 PM.

I’m very keen on the improved write speeds but you should note the fine print.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...rmware_compare

‡‡ Figures based on updated firmware, ISO 100, Standard Picture Style and with 8GB CF memory card (normal speed). Figures in parentheses apply to 128GB UDMA 7 CF memory card (high speed). Note: UDMA 7 CF memory card read/write speeds are not fully supported with the EOS 7D Digital SLR camera, if using UDMA 7 memory cards, the read/write speeds will be equivalent to UDMA 6.

Also the GPS is something big for me, once you start Geotagging you won’t want to go back. The only problem I have with the GPS unit is its location, you cannot use an external flash. I’m looking forward to the review from Bryan.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    The only problem I have with the GPS unit is its location, you cannot use an external flash.
    Are you saying you can not use a flash because it is attached to the accessory shoe (I assume that is the hot shoe)? Because you can also teather it with a USB so your flash can be connected to the hot shoe.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Are you saying you can not use a flash because it is attached to the accessory shoe (I assume that is the hot shoe)? Because you can also teather it with a USB so your flash can be connected to the hot shoe.
    For the 7D, you *must* connect the GP-E2 via USB, hot shoe connectivity is only for the 5DIII and 1D X.

Canon states, "†When the EOS 7D is used with the GP-E2 the following restrictions will apply: a) geotagging function will not work for movies while recording; b) geotagging features will not work for movies when using the Map Utility; c) electronic compass information and automatic time setting is not available; d) transmission via the hot shoe is not possible."

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    For the 7D, you *must* connect the GP-E2 via USB, hot shoe connectivity is only for the 5DIII and 1D X.

Canon states, "†When the EOS 7D is used with the GP-E2 the following restrictions will apply: a) geotagging function will not work for movies while recording; b) geotagging features will not work for movies when using the Map Utility; c) electronic compass information and automatic time setting is not available; d) transmission via the hot shoe is not possible."
    What I don't know is if the GPS must be connected to the hot shoe to work as well. If it can be moved, even dangled from the cord, it may make it more usable.

I tend to agree that it looks like the 7D II will be delayed.
    Last edited by Raid; 06-28-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: need to proof read, to maney errorrs

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Another bit of information on card speeds:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/de...4319/kw/UDMA 7

It looks as though only the SanDisk Extreme Pro is UDMA 6 capable and they only have one UDMA 7 card that's the 128GB Extreme Pro.

So I won't be getting a maximum burst rate of 25 or even 23.

Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    What I don't know is if the GPS must be connected to the hot shoe to work as well. If it can be moved, even dangled from the cord, it may make it more usable.
    I see no reason it would need to be connected to the hotshoe - it's powered by an internal AA battery and draws no power from the camera via the hotshoe. I'd assume Canon provides the USB connection mainly so you can simultaneously use a mounted flash, just on a 7D that's the only option. It can be mounted on the 7D hotshoe for convenience, but it's not necessary.