Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 7d Firmware Upgrade

I am quite tempted on the 5dII - just haven't pulled the trigger for some reason. The only real thing that I would want is the updated autofocus features of the 7d. The AF isn't as robust as the 5dIII - that is the "down market" aspect that is "OK" with me.

I have no idea of what Canon is going to do - no insider info, etc - it just seems to me from a product line strategy that both the 5dII and the D700 are "long in the tooth" and neither Canon nor Nikon are going to trust the other not to introduce a !!! new and improved!!!! wiz bang body in the 2k neighborhood. Is the 7d w/ the its most current firmware w/ FF it or would the wizzy features of the T4i on the new crop sensor be "good enough" not having shot the 7d, I am asking the group if they think it might be.

I know I am on record of having said I thought the 1dx was not the breakthrough I was hoping for, perhaps I was hallucinating or just overtaken with the power of the current gaggle of cameras compared to when I left the photo world many years ago. (I occasionally find myself wondering why google earth isn't a live feed too on the getting carried away with tech hallucinations).

I will be making a move by mid August regardless and then hunkering down from the hardware chase - the T3i has served its purpose - a cost effective test of whether not I would jump back in to the image capture world.

lastly i have seen several gently used 5dII in fleabay going for really decent prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    You know, I think they could lower the retail price of the 5D Mark II to $1650 and most people wanting a budget full-framer would be happy. The 5D Mark II may be long in the tooth, but I picked one up at the beginning of this year and I'm loving it. The build quality isn't as good as the 7D, but it's hard to beat the images I can create with it.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Anyone hear how long before this firmware is going to be available? I am patiently waiting...it is August.

Middle of August, maybe? If it's like the delivery of my Nexus 7 tablet, "middle" means the 26th of the month.

Some guy on CR just claimed they "knew" it would be the 7th... With the usual CR disclaimer of it's just what one guy reckons and is probably wrong.
    I'm hanging out for it too, breathe a bit more life into my digital and stop me from buying more films for a while, but I don't see it happening before the end of the Olympics, it'll just get lost in the noise...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Was just thinking about asking this same question here. August is a long month with no Formula One races and the Red Sox still stumbling. It'd be nice if something new and exciting came along.
    Mark - Flickr

At least we have the new 5D Mark II firmware to play with....even if it isn't published by Canon. :-)

I've never been one for PP, rather get it right in-camera.
    But I was reading this this morning, so now i'm re-scanning some B+W negatives I've shot recently, and sharpening them up.

I suppose it's the best I can do until that new firmware is realeased, my 7D is obsolete without it, it's being used as a door-stop until I can get my hands on this new firmware...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

The 7D is a very capable camera before the firmware update, and I still use it regularly even after picking up a 5D II; it is anything but a doorstop to me, but I appreciate the new features the firmware will bring to the camera.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 08-04-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    ...my 7D is obsolete without it, it's being used as a door-stop until I can get my hands on this new firmware...
    So...after the firmware update, it becomes something a bit more useful, like a paperweight?

Or a bookend. I collect obsolete things and use them as bookends. The rubber on the bottom holds pretty well.

In all seriousness, I am not totally interested in all the features. Limiting Auto ISO is one thing I am very interested in. I have wanted that for a long time. I also wanted to see what type of silent fixes they put in this firmware.