Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 7d Firmware Upgrade

I find I can get a sharper image from ACR/PSE than DPP, and more importantly, a less noisy image. DPP does a sub-par job on noise. If I shoot at high-ISO (3200 on a 7D for example), and crank the Chroma slider all the way to 20, it's still filled with chroma noise, and the luma noise reduction hurts sharpess much more than ACR's. The controls in ACR for adjusting fill light, etc work nicer than trying to get the curves just right, and the magic 'clarity' local contast slider, is awesome.

I've stuck with DPP for the last, what 2.5 years. I've just discovered how nice ACR can be this week. Oh, and aside from the missing 'go back to ACR' button, ACR needs a click to set white balance button.

As long as we're in semi-gripe mode, ZoomBrowser, when I say 'edit with external editor' don't tell me I need to convert my CR2 to something editable first. DPP and PSE can both load your CR2 files. Just launch them, thanks. If you need to babysit, give me a 'this application can read CR2' checkbox when I'm adding image editors.

I rarely shoot above ISO 800. That may be why I'm so happy with DPP. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    Bryan's got the new MS Codec linked on the main site. It works way better than anything they previously had. It very quickly shows CR2 and NEF files as images.

I love ACR. I do most of my PP there and only have a couple actions I run in PS. Although I'm still resizing in PS. I really should automate that part more.
    Thanks for bringing this up! I just downloaded the new MS Codec! I had been suffering with the little icons for too long but didn't know how to get rid of them and see the photos! Thanks a bunch!

The MS codec is the main reason I was able to go strictly to RAW files only. I kept the jpgs as a quick review of the files on my desktop and not have to load up LR to see if what I had. I've been jpg-free since last year
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Looks like some folks are experiencing freeze up issues after updating the 7D firmware. I don't have a link to any actual story, but there's a thread over on POTN about it. Stay tuned. So far, so good with mine.
    Mark - Flickr