Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7d Firmware Upgrade

7d Firmware Upgrade

Other than it is still missing the attractiveness filter setting for self portraits that I have begged Canon for years.......

What say you 7d owners - useful?

Is a this "nex gen" worthy event?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I'm excited. The in camera image rating function alone is worthwhile to me. I'm also curious to test out the in camera raw editing and the ability to save as a new JPEG. All that being said, I might wait until other users give it a whirl and comment that everything is okay before installing.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Other than it is still missing the attractiveness filter setting for self portraits that I have begged Canon for years.......

What say you 7d owners - useful?

Looks like a worthy upgrade to me for a few reasons:

1. The increased burst rate certainly helps. When shooting sports, nothing is more irritating than running out of buffer space at that critical moment. So even just a few frames improvement would be worth the upgrade.

2. Having the custom picture settings applied to the RAW file is something that us non-DPP users might appreciate and find worthy of the upgrade. Since we have never had this option before. I am not sure if I will use it or not, but it is certainly worth exploring.

3. Being able to Limit the Auto ISO is another big advantage. I like useing auto ISO, especially when specific aperature and shutter speeds are critical, but I never liked being unable to limit how far auto-iso will go. If I can set it to stay between 100-800, then I would be a happy camper.

4. The one thing I am dissapointed in is that they did not increase the number of frames that can be used when bracketing shots, such as in HDR. I would love to have more than three fames available for this, but I think they intentionally reserve this option for the pro bodies.

All in all, I am excited about this firmware release and will be downloading it as soon as it is available.

Good topic Knuckles, I am curious what others have to say.

Bob
    Bob

I think it's brilliant. I don't use my 7D as much now that I picked up a 5D Mark II, but having some of these features may mean I reach for it more often. But here's my question:

Why, Canon, why did you announce a firmware upgrade only to delay its actual release for over than a month? That seams so silly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Why, Canon, why did you announce a firmware upgrade only to delay its actual release for over than a month? That seams so silly to me.
    That one didn't make any sense to me either---
    Bob

A bit of control on the auto-ISO looks like a nice improvement. So far, I always avoided using auto-ISO because I wasn't able to limit the max and honestly ISO 6400 on the 7D is quite grainy. It seems it's going to be pretty basic though; not as nice as on the 5D III.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    That one didn't make any sense to me either---
    Didn't realize that. Canon's PR stinks, and their ability to deliver on time stinks. I guess they know that their DSLR community falls into 2 camps: the casual shooter who pays little to no attention to forums, announcements, etc, and for whom this kind of announcement/delay is meaningless, and who might not ever upgrade their firmware anyway; and the power user, who's in deep enough with Canon equipment that all but the Daniel Brownings of us have little appetite to sell everything and start over with another brand if we are dissatisfied with the customer experience. Oh well. I'll wait patiently!

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post

Next Gen, def not, but they look useful and helpful to me.
    There is beauty in simplicity.

1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50/1.2L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 100-400L II | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT-24EX | lots of stuff

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    3. Being able to Limit the Auto ISO is another big advantage. I like useing auto ISO, especially when specific aperature and shutter speeds are critical, but I never liked being unable to limit how far auto-iso will go. If I can set it to stay between 100-800, then I would be a happy camper.
    This is the big one, for me. My S95 and S100 can do it, why not the 7D...

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    ...I wasn't able to limit the max and honestly ISO 6400 on the 7D is quite grainy...
    FWIW, Auto ISO on the 7D (current firmware) runs from 100-3200, you only get ISO 6400 if you set it there youself. But I'd often prefer to limit it to 1600 or even 800.

I am happy about the ability to set the maximum on auto-iso. That should be a feature on every camera.

I am not sure about the new buffer capacity, I was already getting ~22-23 RAW shots before the buffer filled up and they are claiming that with the new algorithms, I may get 25. I think it is an increase over what the 7D was rated, but it will be interesting to see what pans out in actual use. But, the only time I've filled the buffer where in tests we did here earlier this year. So, that is a non-issue for me.

Added video features may be nice, I've been thinking I should shoot more video. And I'll have to wait to see on the in camera editing features. I can see those being handy once in a long while. Say, when visiting family and if they want a shot that I took in RAW I could convert in camera to a jpeg and down load it for them.

I would like in camera HDR, but I don't see that listed.

So, not "next generation" but it is very nice that canon is flowing down some features to the 7D. It does make me think that we should not expect a 7DII for awhile.

Next generation features, to me, would be improved high ISO performance, increased DR, slightly sharper images, a few more MP, etc.

But, overall, thanks Canon.