Thread: Any experiences with the Canon SD880 IS?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any experiences with the Canon SD880 IS?

Hi all,

I've been wanting to get a new compact / holiday camera to replace my current one (Sony W5) and I settled down on the Canon SD880 IS. It arrived last week and I went on my first serious outing with it today. I enjoyed using it very much. Unfortunately I've been disappointed with the quality of some of the wide angle shots I took. The center is OK, but the borders are horribly soft/blurry. I was not expecting miracles from it, but the wide angle shot quality looks noticeably worse than I was expecting.

Does anyone have it to maybe compare notes?

Thanks,

Tony

Re: Any experiences with the Canon SD880 IS?

It's a point a shoot, so it's never expected to perform like a DSLR[]. The majority of the current crop of P & S digicams wide end starts around 35mm so the wide angle coverage of the SD 880 IS is welcome by many who want wide angle snap shots. Most of these folks really don't care much about corner sharpness, all theywant is something wide, small and trendy. I'm one of those[]. For serious photography I'd grap my DSLR.

I have the 780 as my general pocket camera. It's fine to capture the moment when you don't have the big camera around, but it won't astound you with quality.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. As I said I was not expecting miracles from the 880, but the wide-angle shots were a bit worse in the borders than I had expected. But I also looked at test shots on reviews and they seem to be similar... oh well. Clearly, I'm spoilt with my DSLR gear!

Tony