Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Wide Angle Zoom Lens Do You Recommend?

Which Wide Angle Zoom Lens Do You Recommend?

Many of you helped me out last week when I was looking to upgrade from my Sigma 150-500, thank you. Now I would like to move away from the Tamron 17-50 VC lens I have because I've noticed he auto focusing is a little on the slow side and jerky when it engages. I'm good with spending up to $850 but found it really confusing looking at different reviews. Some like the Canon 17-55 but others said IQ is no different from the 15-85 which offers more range for less money. I even saw a fairly good review for the Sigma 17-85. I'm turning to the experts once again, what should I do?

I've used the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 for hundreds of my favorite shots--it's a great general purpose lens. The constant f/2.8 maximum aperture is an important feature that shouldn't be overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I've used the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 for hundreds of my favorite shots--it's a great general purpose lens. The constant f/2.8 maximum aperture is an important feature that shouldn't be overlooked.
    Hi Sean, thats the direction I'm leaning but some reviews seem to not like the bokeh. I assume you disagree. Do you have any 'cons' for the 17-55?

-Chris

If you really want a wide-angle-zoom as you say, then the EF-S 10-22 is the canon option.

No true cons with the 17-55mm, just a decision between f/2.8 or the wider range of the 15-85mm.

Quote Originally Posted by ham View Post
    If you really want a wide-angle-zoom as you say, then the EF-S 10-22 is the canon option.

No true cons with the 17-55mm, just a decision between f/2.8 or the wider range of the 15-85mm.
    Not being as informed as I should be, I'm assuming the desire is to always have the wider aperture and faster capability at your disposal, correct? Besides price, is there any 'pro' to the 17-85?

The only con for some with the 17-55 is the ratio of price to build quality. But the IQ is best in class.

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    The only con for some with the 17-55 is the ratio of price to build quality. But the IQ is best in class.
    Yup! That is exactly the knock I found for that lens. It is FTM, right? Would you say $850 used is a good deal?

Quote Originally Posted by cyoung315 View Post
    Yup! That is exactly the knock I found for that lens. It is FTM, right? Would you say $850 used is a good deal?
    $850 is a good deal depending on condition. For "like new" condition, for example, on Amazon, it's a great deal. KEH has one used for $909 that is rated EX+, which is "90-96% of original condition. Exceptionally nice. May have slight wear on finish but visible only under close inspection. Glass very clean."

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    $850 is a good deal depending on condition. For "like new" condition, for example, on Amazon, it's a great deal. KEH has one used for $909 that is rated EX+, which is "90-96% of original condition. Exceptionally nice. May have slight wear on finish but visible only under close inspection. Glass very clean."
    I missed that on KEH, I looked a little while ago but didn't see that listing. I was going to go for the Amazon 850 Like New but thats from a private seller, do you think KEH wold be a safer, tested bet?
    Last edited by cyoung315; 07-04-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyoung315 View Post
    I missed that on KEH, I looked a little while ago but didn't see that listing. I was going to go for the Amazon 850 Like New but thats from a private seller, do you think KEH wold be a safer, tested bet?

CORRECTION: Amazon's is Used Very Good.
    I have not had any issues with either but KEH has a great warranty.
    Mark