Thread: Windmills and ruins

Windmills and ruins

So I was bored and hiked over to the city limits. Found some Dutch windmills, some ruins, and a lake. And I got lost and it took me over two hours and several blisters on my feet to find my way back into town LOL.

Anyway I think I overprocessed these but I did it for art's sake not because I wanted a true to life representation of the landscape. I was looking for a Dutch masters painting kind of look.

(I used the 16-35 lens at narrow apertures and the 5D Mk II that I need to practice with more).

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.11/Hillegersberg_2D00_11.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.11/Hillegersberg_2D00_23.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.11/Hillegersberg_2D00_28.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.11/Hillegersberg_2D00_32.jpg[/img]

Re: Windmills and ruins

The first one has that dutch masters feel to it for sure. They show up a little dark on my screen and I am not sure that the masters had vignetting, but I like them just the same. Thanks for posting.

Tom

I like the first and last one the best the two in the middle to me look wierd with the vignetting.

2nd and third one absolutely amazing to me I love the second one the most i love it im not sure why what are the exposures?

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

To answer the exposure question:

1: 1/30 - F16 - ISO100

2: 1/50 - F16 - ISO100

3: 1/60 - F16 - ISO100

4: 1/100 - F16 -ISO100

The skies were very white and bleak so I shot them a bit underexposed and turned down the skies in postprocessing even more (with a graduate thingy in Lightroom) because otherwise the rest would have been too dark had I underexposed more in-camera.

I agree that the first one has that painting feel to it. The rest not so much. I am also unsure about the vignetting in the 3d picture. I do like it in the second however because it gave it a surreal feel to I think.

See? Chacun a son gout...I love the third...it's my fav...[8-|]

Madison-

These are great. The first is my favorite. I love the composition- foreground grasses, water, and wonderful sky. The dark look is great, too.

I also quite like the second, again a great sky and great composition. I like the contrast between the brightness of the ruin with the darkness of everything else (though I wish there was less vignetting... that makes it a little too dark IMO)

I spent some time photographing ruins while I was in Taiwan, but my results weren't as good.