View Poll Results: Which photo is your favorite for the assignment?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dr Croubie

3 8.11%
  • erno james

20 54.05%
  • HDNitehawk

6 16.22%
  • Sheiky

4 10.81%
  • nvitalephotograhy

4 10.81%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #38 - Water (congrats Erno James)

#38 - Water (congrats Erno James)

On behalf of Claes(CLS) this is assignment 38: Water

"Water can be used in many ways to create great photos - I've seen several great examples of this from many of you in the various threads in this forum. First I was thinking about giving you a few inspirational example shots, but then I changed my mind and thought it would be better to leave the interpretation of the subject fully up to each and every one of you. The only thing to keep in mind for this assignment is that in some way it should be water that makes the picture. Happy shooting!"

"I've had a tough time narrowing down my favorite photos of this assignment to only five shots that I really like...and the nominees are (in no particular order):"

Name: Dr Croubie
    Motivation: This is a really cool reflection shot. There's something about it that keeps messing with my brain.

Name: erno james
    Motivation: This is a ridiculously beautiful sea landscape shot. I can almost hear the splashing waves.

Name: HDNitehawk
    Motivation: This would "just" have been a good shot of the running dog if it wasn't for the water t(r)ail that makes it great.

Name: Sheiky
    Motivation: I like the brightness and freshness of this photo along with the tight composition - simply a great swimming shot.

Name: nvitalephotograhy
    Motivation: This spider's web is captured at the right time from the right angle, and the execution is spot on.

• The poll will be open for 3 days!
    • Good luck!
    Last edited by Sheiky; 07-20-2012 at 08:48 PM.

I'll just kick off with a few photos of the local triathlon from last week:

Triathlon Rijssen 2012 by Jan Paalman, on Flickr

Triathlon Rijssen 2012 by Jan Paalman, on Flickr

Scuba Triathlon by Jan Paalman, on Flickr

Triathlon is definitely my favorite sport to take photos off. Three different sports combined make for a great opportunity to photograph different subjects. Swimming definitely has the best part here. There's always something happening with the water. Plus it's quite cool to see how the water flows around faces etc. 100% views are really nice I think

My entry for this challenge is below. It was taken with 60D and 135L at f/4, 1/1250 shutter, and ISO 100 in Madison, WI.

2012_06_09_6384_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr

Dave

Senior Member francongphotography's Avatar
    Wow, great shots..

here's one from my recent trip to Yellowstone.
    Canon 5D Mk II, 550D/T2i, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 L USM, 17-40mm f/4 L USM, 24-105mm f/4 L USM, 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM, 320EX speedlite

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/franco_ng/

EDIT...
    I didn't make it out for an original shot, but here is one that I haven't posted before, it will be my entry....Another angle on Terrill Gorge Falls in Vermont

small-5717-3 by kayaker72, on Flickr

...Water....

Great topic....I'll work on getting an original shot for this assignment....but a few from the archives.....

Terrill gorge-5716 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Waterfall IMG_0382pp by kayaker72, on Flickr

Bog IMG_5237 by kayaker72, on Flickr

IMG_1079 small by kayaker72, on Flickr
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 07-19-2012 at 11:30 AM.

I agree with Sheiky that swimming is one of the best sports to take photos of, although I find it particularly challenging to get the right facial expression that I'm looking for. People pull all sorts of weird faces when they're taking a breath, and pro-level athletes often draw their breath so close to the water's surface that it's difficult to get much face in the picture at all.

Anyway, this is my entry.

Splash Splash

My photo
    Last edited by gkphoto; 07-06-2012 at 05:45 PM.

My entry, a Black Crowned Night Heron hunting in the rushing water of the Ohio River at The Falls of the Ohio Park in southern Indiana. Taken with 1DMKIV, 500mm f/4L + 2X TC on a gitzo tripod with a wimberly gimbal head

Great topic and excellent entries so far. This is probably my favourite water shot, because of all the fantastic memories of the place. Taken in the Great Bear Rainforest of British Columbia.

Canon 1D3, 70-200 f/2.8 lens, 1/400 sec @ f/8, ISO 100

Nice bird Joel, there's something really cool about that shot, one of those 'i like it but can't tell why' moments.

Anyway, i've probably got a whole lot that I should process that would have water in, but for now i'm being lazy and putting in one from my time in NL.
    It's my only photo that i've ever come up with a title: "A reflection in water has no depth"

(and yes, I put the watermark on it to stop people telling me "it's upside down")
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos