Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for L Bracket for Multiple Cameras

I do think they are very close. For me the decision came down to the fact that I initially bought a Markins Q20 without a quick-shoe plate, because I wanted the RRS quick-shoe with the lever release, so I figured I might as well get the RRS camera plate to attach to their own quick-shoe. I'm very happy with RRS and you can call them and ask questions and I've found them to be very informative and responsive.

I would say the RRS, Kirk and Wimberley offer the tightest tolerances for Arca-Swiss compatibility, however you can never go wrong with sticking with one brand. I also have the RRS monopod head with their RRS levered QR, and I have my eye on some other RRS products, such as macro rails and flash brackets, so I usually just sit around with the RRS catalog and create my own wish list.

You definitely should wait a little on your decision, to make sure that there aren't any snafus with either product.

I just noticed that Kirk doesn't list a 1DX L-bracket yet, and RRS ($250) is taking pre-orders and stating that the design is not finalized yet.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B1DX-L&type=4&eq=

I believe that RRS did a revision of their initial 5DIII bracket, but I'm sure that they would stand behind any problems.

I think RRS swapped out the bad brackets. What you probably got for your scratches if you had a 5D III was an apology.
    I agree with Rich, unless it was a have to have tool I think I would wait a few weeks before buying one for the new 1D X.

Definitely. I've got a Wimberley P-5 that'll do for the time being...

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I'll have the Kirk vs. RRS decision to make for a 1D X L-bracket. In the past, there have been some minor differences in terms of which had a slightly lower profile, etc., but they seem equivalent in terms of quality and price.

It may come down to who has one ready first.
    John,

I wouldn't think you'd be in a rush for this, but if you haven't seen it yet, the RRS 1DX L-bracket is finalized and backordered all at the same time.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...DX-L&type=4&eq

Rich

Thanks, Rich! No real rush, but I previously noticed the higher price than their other L-brackets, and wondered why. The modular design, especially being able to convert from base plate to L-bracket, is very attractive! I'll wait to see what Kirk comes up with, but unless it's similar the RRS plate is likely the one I'll get.

Yes, it looks pretty cool and innovative in that it's a modular design, yet also custom for this specific body. The 1DX is a fairly large camera thereby requiring a large L-bracket, so the split design may come in handy to reduce bulk. I also like the idea of storing the hex key in the base plate. I wish mine had that.

I agree, lets see what Kirk comes up with!