Thread: Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

For me the push to update to the 5D III or 1Dx is actually based on the new RT technology built into the 600 EX RT
    this really is pushing me over the edge.
    I made the 600 EX RT leap, and trying to justify the 1Dx over the 5D III.
    I dont read much discussion on this site on the 600 EX RT topic, maybe everyone is satisfied with other systems.
    I have just never been able to put a package together with 3rd party equipment ( I may be tech challanged ) that i was comfortable with

To really take advantage of the groups features of the new 600 EX RT you need one of these updated models (5DIII or 1Dx)

My first question is: has anyone used the ST E3 RT yet ( I see it is now released ) and if so what is your experience?
    I know there is no low light autofocus assist beam and this may be a problem.
    Would you think it a better buy to just get another 600 EX RT?

Second question:
    Does anyone else find the expected lifetime shutter count on the 5D III disappointing?
    All of my canons have exceeded these counts, has anyone had other experience?

I need a push over the edge to spend the other $3300.

If I'm not mistaken, you can also use the transmitter to remote trigger the camera with the 600 on it. Have you tried that? Does it work well? Or perhaps I've dreamt that feature and as it's Friday evening I need some rest?

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Still waiting for mine to arrive. It is on order.

Have been using flash on body in meantime. Will appreciate the weight reduction.

Using 5D3s for a while now I am not convinced of need to have focus assist on transmitter. With the low light focus abilities of the bodies it can be put on I think the focus assist is on verge of being redundant. Now having printed that we all know what will happen the very next day..... Sure, the focus will be slower sometimes without it but I seldom shoot in caves, taverns, or churches so it wasn't even a spec I looked at. For the wedding photographers I think using a flash for the assist will sometimes be done when in a darker environment.

Edit: Forgot the gentle nudge. You know you want one and maybe even really need one so go get one!!
    I'm not trying to be that guy...but in my case the focus assist on the ST-E2 (on 5D3) is very helpful. I shoot events for a guy who does a lot of fancy uplighting and it is usually very dark at his jobs. I'll have a 580EXII on a bracket (rendering it's assist beam almost useless) and will have the ST-E2 trigger it. This is also very helpful in heavily back lit situations.

I recently invested in two 600EX-RTs and so far love them. I have about decided that I absolutely need a ST-E3-RT . I have read some people carping about the fact that the control screen is facing upward and is hard to see when the camera in on a highish tripod. In real use, has anyone found this to be a problem? The fact that it doesn’t have an auto focus assist beam does not bother me.

Larry

Upward facing is no problem.
    You can also control the functions form the camera menu(rear facing)
    But know you will get best functionality with the newer canons ( 5dIII and 1Dx)