Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teleconverters

Teleconverters

Does anyone know if there is one brand or type of teleconverter that works with both Canon and Sigma (DC & DG) lenses (prime & zoom)? Does Canon (II &/or III) work with Sigma? Do Sigma teleconverters work with Canon lenses? Does Kenko Pro 300 (DG &/or DGX) work with both Canon and Sigma lenses? Lenses being say between f-stop 1.8 and 4.0 to maintain auto focus.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks much!!

I have a Kenko 2.0x Pro 300 TC that has worked with every lens I've thrown at it, including my Lens Baby. AF works fine with Canon lenses (although being 2x, you lose AF for any lens with f4 and above). I've used it with my Roki 35mm and 85mm, but both those are MF lenses to begin with. I don't own a Sigma lens or any non-Canon AF lens, so I can't guarantee it will work with them, but I don't see why not.

Just sent you an email through your profile link.
    Mark - Flickr

Great ...sounds like I don't have anything to worry about. I have seen various used ones being sold here and there and always hesitated because I wasn't sure what would work with what. I think I will look for either eventually getting a Kenko Pro DGX or a Sigma, I just haven't decided yet whether to go with 1.4 or 2.0, probably a 2.0 to use on my 135mmL and my Sigma 50-150mm.

Thanks for the info. BTW - I didn't get an email.

I've got mail! Thanks, Mark!

I bought the Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 DGX 1.4X off of Ebay. I don't use it often, but I've been pretty satisfied with it when I did.

Thanks, Sean ...I think I am going to go the Kenko route this time.

Denise, I have read good reviews of the Kenko 1.4X converter, should be good but I wonder what you will gain since you already have the 100-400mm zoom? Most all the 2X converters will cause IQ issues except the new Version III Canon 2X is pretty good.

I haven't been around here much lately. Toward the end, 2012 was really starting to wear me down and take its toll on me physically and emotionally. I'm sure glad to see that year end and I have to stay positive so here's hoping for a better 2013!

I am sorry to bring this old thread up again but at the time I posted it, I got sidetracked into wedding photog preparation details and never went anywhere with this. Now that I reluctantly sold my 100-400mm, I am trying to figure out the best way to go about having some length to still take some wildlife photos on occaision and would like to make a purchase within the next few days. I see KEH has quite an assortment to choose from. With the lenses I have, I won't be able to get the reach of the 400mm but I would like to get enough to still photograph some birds at least. For what I still own, I would be using the teleconverter on my Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 os and my 135mm L f2.0.

I did borrow a fellow TDP member's Kenko 2.0x Pro 300 TC this summer and although I didn't get to use it a real lot (again due to the wedding prep), the photos I did take with it looked good.

I am trying to get the most bang (best IQ) for my very limited $$ so I'm having a tough time deciding and figuring out which is best IQ wise.

I know IQ will suffer either way to some extent but would 2x be better or 1.4 and crop more?

With the Kenko teleconverters, Kenko's site states, "The DGX Teleplus converters have updated circuitry to record exif data more accurately. In the exif exposure data (meta-data recorded with a digital picture) DGX converters record the equivalent aperture and focal length of the lens setting plus tele-converter. Optically and mechanically they are the identical to the prior high-quality DG series converters."

Does this just mean my info shown on the computer won't be accurate or does it mean what I am seeing in-camera won't be accurate?

KEH has a 2X KENKO TELEPLUS PRO 300 DGX, EX+ condition for $172.00 & $189 for LN. and a 2X KENKO TELEPLUS PRO 300 DG, EX+ condition for $115.

As for Sigma teleconverters, I don't know much about them or if anyone here has one. I'm not sure if it will work with my 135mm but if it would KEH has the 2X SIGMA APO EX, EX+ condition for $99 or the 2X SIGMA APO EX DG, EX+ condition for $159. Not sure what the difference is for APO EX and APO EX DG. From what I've read I think both the Sigma tele's for Canon can mount on a Canon camera with a Sigma lens but not a Canon lens.

I'm leaning toward the Kenko 2x TELEPLUS PRO 300 DGX, EX+ condition for $172.00.

Denise,

I think 1.4x and crop would likely give better image quality than 2x although it is certainly subjective. I've got loads of images with the 1.4x II.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6825585...teleconverter/

I've been doing some house cleaning too. Gone are the 18-135, sold it last weekend, and soon to be gone are my XT and 75-300 USM III, through B&H used. I took the cash from those along with a couple gift certificates to nearly pay for the 70-200 f/4 USM. I can get out to 280mm with good quality now! I can't afford 400mm and wanted a very good general purpose zoom.

Best of luck with your search.

Dave

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...II-Review.aspx

Not sure about the ones you are looking at, but the result of this review is that you get more detail with the 2x than with the 1.4x and cropping.
    - Eric
    Canon 7D, 70-200 f/2.8 II, 17-55 f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.8 II, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 2x III, 430EX II
    flickr.com/ericolsson