Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with selecting light modifiers

I would also like to point out that it is possible to make, or improvise, some of your own modifiers. One of the more unique ones I came up with some time ago was to mount a textured glossy piece of photo printing paper onto foamboard. When clamped onto a rod in the umbrella rod hole of the lightsstand flashmount it allowed bouncing the flash off the surface to create a diffused light source without the same amount of light loss as shooting through an umbrella. The light is not as diffuse this way but it is cheap, simple, and effective. Translucent materials, plastics especially, also come up regularly in discussions about home made equipment.

One thing you did mention was using flash outdoors. It may not always be possible to work in a shaded area but when you can you will find it easier as you won't be trying to overpower the sun while creating the look you want.

Thanks for the feedback Sean. I found a couple of Westcott kits that provide the stands, swivels, and modifiers. These are the links:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lla_Flash.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lo_with_8.html

Both are available in Canada where I'm from at surprisingly the same price as the B&H website. Let me know I you have an opinion on these. They received decent reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    I would also like to point out that it is possible to make, or improvise, some of your own modifiers. One of the more unique ones I came up with some time ago was to mount a textured glossy piece of photo printing paper onto foamboard. When clamped onto a rod in the umbrella rod hole of the lightsstand flashmount it allowed bouncing the flash off the surface to create a diffused light source without the same amount of light loss as shooting through an umbrella. The light is not as diffuse this way but it is cheap, simple, and effective. Translucent materials, plastics especially, also come up regularly in discussions about home made equipment.

One thing you did mention was using flash outdoors. It may not always be possible to work in a shaded area but when you can you will find it easier as you won't be trying to overpower the sun while creating the look you want.
    Thanks for the tips. I have read quite a few creative DIY options. I think once I purchase the stands and swivels, I can explore some of them. It's a bit tough right now to position and place without stands or assistants .

Quote Originally Posted by Mpieris View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I have read quite a few creative DIY options. I think once I purchase the stands and swivels, I can explore some of them. It's a bit tough right now to position and place without stands or assistants .
    I can imagine. :-)

Thanks for the feedback Sean. I found a couple of Westcott kits that provide the stands, swivels, and modifiers. These are the links:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lla_Flash.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lo_with_8.html

Both are available in Canada where I'm from at surprisingly the same price as the B&H website. Let me know I you have an opinion on these. They received decent reviews.
    Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Anyone have any thoughts on these?
    Start small; go with the umbrella kit. If you find you need more control of the light, then you can always spring for the softbox kit later.

I'll note here that I have the Westcott Apollo, and while I've used it many times, I do find its design limiting in that you have to remove the diffusion cover to reach the flash controls (I use manual power adjustments 95% of the time, and therefore I like having quick access to the flash). It's a design flaw they're quite aware of, because they sell an accessory Mounting Arm that alleviates the problem (I own it as well). The mounting arm allows you to place the flash outside of the softbox so that you have access to the controls. The issues I have with the mounting arm include the increased setup time involved in using it, the added instability of having more tension elements (screws, in this case), and the added cost of the item itself. The light coming from the Apollo is great--but it's a pain to use, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 07-14-2012 at 03:17 AM.

Purchased the Westcott 43" umbrella kit yesterday. Used it with my 430EXII and Yongnuo triggers. Here are a few shots from my first time using a light modifier. They have been post processed in Lightroom 3. Let me know what you think.

IMG_2013 by MAzing Pictures, on Flickr

IMG_2004 by MAzing Pictures, on Flickr

IMG_2014 by MAzing Pictures, on Flickr

Well, #2's definitely my favorite. Well done.

Agreed. Love #2 the most. Maybe a little bit of a raised eyebrow and more of a smirk would make amazing, but really like it the way it is.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

A few more from the series:

Untitled by MAzing Pictures, on Flickr