Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with selecting light modifiers

Love the last one's facial expression, but lost some of the nice background. If you had another flash for a rim light to separate the hair and background, that would be awesome.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    Love the last one's facial expression, but lost some of the nice background. If you had another flash for a rim light to separate the hair and background, that would be awesome.
    I have two more flashes. Had one setup as a rim light, but my transceiver batteries died at the beginning of the shoot. Will try it with the rim light the next chance I get (with fully charged batteries of course).

Thanks for sharing your first shots with us. Now that I see what sort of improvements a single umbrella kit can do to your light I should be considering the investment. Basically today, I'm always bouncing off the ceiling or a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Thanks for sharing your first shots with us. Now that I see what sort of improvements a single umbrella kit can do to your light I should be considering the investment. Basically today, I'm always bouncing off the ceiling or a wall.
    Yeah it's amazing how much better things are with a basic setup like this. I found a really cool website that is very informative for speedlite photography. Heres's the link:

http://smokingstrobes.com/

His videos are short and easy to follow. I learned quite a bit from them as a beginner in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Yeah it's amazing how much better things are with a basic setup like this. I found a really cool website that is very informative for speedlite photography. Heres's the link:

His videos are short and easy to follow. I learned quite a bit from them as a beginner in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpieris View Post

Thanks for the links! I've just checked it out and indeed it seems quite interesting (nice asian model too )

I just bought a grid for my flash. Here are a few shots. The last one is with a gel. My first time using both. Welcome your critiques.

Aurelie portrait by MAzing Pictures, on Flickr

Grids are great, but generally speaking, they work best in tandem with other light sources. If used as a main light, they're best used with a fill light. If not the main light, then grids are usually used as hair lights or as a background light. Try some of those uses for your grids.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Grids are great, but generally speaking, they work best in tandem with other light sources. If used as a main light, they're best used with a fill light. If not the main light, then grids are usually used as hair lights or as a background light. Try some of those uses for your grids.
    Thanks for the tip Sean. I was trying to capture some dramatic type shots I've seen others do in the past in make-up ads or CD covers. Is there a general rule of thumb on the power ratio to use for the rim/hair light? Generally, i like using the main light from my flash and shoot through umbrella setup.

Rim light is like salt--add it to taste. Some people like a very strong rimlight, some like a more delicate touch. For me, it depends on the type of look I'm wanting to achieve.