Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1D X IQ and ISO Charts

1D X IQ and ISO Charts

Brayn just posted the IQ charts and we thank him.

I have a question, why does the ISO chart from the 1D X appear smaller than the 5D II or 5D III's. They are all FF.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=0&APIComp=4

Deleted...

Doesn't he typically do that to stack them over each other so you can see the two side by side?

I was curious how the 1DX stacked up against my 7D, but the 7D images compare the 7D vs. 5DmkIII, not 1DX. That's not a bad comparison, but not the one I would expect on the 1DX page.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I have a question, why does the ISO chart from the 1D X appear smaller than the 5D II or 5D III's. They are all FF.
    He fills the frame with the test chart. The sensors are the same size, but the resolution is different. That's why the 5DIII at 22 MP appears slightly larger than the 5DII at 21 MP, and why the 1D X at 18 MP appears smaller than both. You see the same thing if you compare any pair of cameras with the same sensor format but different MP counts.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    He fills the frame with the test chart. The sensors are the same size, but the resolution is different. That's why the 5DIII at 22 MP appears slightly larger than the 5DII at 21 MP, and why the 1D X at 18 MP appears smaller than both. You see the same thing if you compare any pair of cameras with the same sensor format but different MP counts.
    Yep, neuro nailed it.

Let me try and get my head around this from a different angle and tell me if this is accurate;

The 1D X in the largest format makes a pic 5184 x 3456 while the 5D III makes one 5760 x 3840. To get the crop he takes a sample out of the picture that is the identical size from each. Because the 1D X is starting with a smaller pic the crop will appear smaller.

The MP count comes in to play in that it changes the size of the picture.

Is this correct?

Basically, yes. Bryan fills the frame with the test chart. If a camera has a lower resolution output, its image will appear smaller by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Basically, yes. Bryan fills the frame with the test chart. If a camera has a lower resolution output, its image will appear smaller by comparison.
    I think if you didn't realize this, the crops could be misleading. Unlike lenses ISO comparisons which are the same length if shot with the same camera body your comparison would be fairly equal.

For instance the 1D IV crop vs the 1D X or any full frame camera, the 1D IV is 1.3 times further away. The dynamic really changes if you want to make the comparison to see if the 1D IV image quality is as good as the IQ of the 1D X picture cropped to match the 1D IV.

Knowing how the crops are done I am thinking the 1D IV may actually win in the crop competition, and clearly the 5D's are ahead.

I think a fair comparison to determine which body has the best IQ would be equally sized pictures, framed from the exact same distances with the exact same lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post

Knowing how the crops are done I am thinking the 1D IV may actually win in the crop competition, and clearly the 5D's are ahead.
    I was wondering how the 1DX would stack up against the 5D2 and 5D3, perhaps winning due to a weaker AA filter, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

At least that will stop me from considering it an upgrade option, I'll just keep my 5D2 until something with significantly better IQ is released [by Canon].

And it does make me wonder why they didn't plan a 1DY that is identical to the 1DX but trades some FPS for more MPs (and gets rid of the AA filter).

Instead we get the 1DC with 4K video! But I'll leave the discussion of when more MPs are coming to CanonRumors ;-)

Although I just can't help but wonder about not offering an upgrade path to 5D2 owners, people who chose image quality above, well, AF and speed!

I'd like a higher IQ body, or a 100-400 and 16-35 with the same quality as the two newer 70-200 IS, but Canon let's me sit and wait instead of buy.

Oops, developed into more of a rant about Canon's product strategy than I intended, so I'll stop now ;-)

It would be good to see the Nikon 800 in this line up.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur